Fusion 360 CAM Acting Strange

Did you do any contouring on the block? If one of your operations uses stock zero and the other uses part zero then you will have that kind of error.

bob

Did you do any contouring on the block? If one of your operations uses stock zero and the other uses part zero then you will have that kind of error.

bob

You got me thinking. I checked each of my machining operations and they all use stock 0,0,0 as the origin.

Did you post this on the Fusion 360 help forums? They were really helpful in the past when I needed it.

You mention in post #7 that you are zeroing after a tool change. If you re-zero on x and y before the counter bore then that is likely your problem since stock(0,0,0) is now gone. If you are zeroing x and y, your reference should be part (0,0,0) for that operation.

bob

Last edited:
You mention in post #7 that you are zeroing after a tool change. If you re-zero on x and y before the counter bore then that is likely your problem since stock(0,0,0) is now gone. If you are zeroing x and y, your reference should be part (0,0,0) for that operation.

bob

I should have been more clear in my explanation. I was zeroing the Z axis (tool to the top of the part). My X and Y zero was the upper left corner of the stock and was not changed throughout the machining operations. If you look at images 414 and 415 in my original post you will see that the perimeter profile operation was not concentric with the stock although it is centered in X and Y in my CAM setup. That was a tell tale sign that something wasn't quite right with my CAM setup and I overlooked it.

Yeah, the environment here is nice. But the knowledge base at http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?page=support is pretty deep. I can usually find answers to my questions just by searching but the occasional posted question usually gets answers in a matter of hours if not minutes. If you are using Fusion 360 do yourself a favor and find your way around the help and users forums at Autodesk.

The only issues I've had with Fusion tool paths have been lead-out/in on adaptives that try to run in to fixtures or snipe other surfaces. There is simply no way to adjust the stupid swoopy moves at the edges or corners of parts without over-constraining and leaving more stock than desired.

All other problems - and they are legion - have eventually been traced back to me.

Did the machine make a funny (bad) noise when it machined the feature improperly?

If not, then the geometry was intentional - i.e. Fusion thinks that what you want regardless of what you actually want. If so, then that's lost steps or mechanical issues or stock not matching the CAM stock dimensions.

If you'd like to send me an in vite to your Fusion project I'd be happy to take a look. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Took another look at the photos, and... shot in the dark... but that offset looks like when I forgot to subtract half the wiggler diameter when touching off an edge. Unless you touched off on the left side of the part - then it doesn't make sense.

Or the actual stock wasn't as wide in X as you set in CAM.

Took another look at the photos, and... shot in the dark... but that offset looks like when I forgot to subtract half the wiggler diameter when touching off an edge. Unless you touched off on the left side of the part - then it doesn't make sense.

Or the actual stock wasn't as wide in X as you set in CAM.

I use a X,Y,Z electronic edge finder to locate the machining origin. The imbedded script sets the part to 0,0,0. And I did touch off on the left side of the part. I double checked the stock dimensions and made sure they were the same in my CAM. Not saying it couldn't be me. I'm just curious why Fusion did what it did so I don't make the same mistake again.

Back