Fusion 360 Help

Here I was hoping you would have some kind of magic answer! :( Unfortunately I had come to that conclusion also. Mr. Pete did a video on one of these using a flycutter to cut the radius out. I saw this one and thought that it was already done and I could get one printed out and ready to use. No luck. I can get dimensions off of the dial indicator and the 3D print by using the measuring tool and then modify them for an AXA holder. It will be good practice learning the Fusion. I would like to cast some steam engine bases in aluminum instead of using bar stock. I have a pile of cast iron rotors and aluminum housings to try to melt down. I have cast silver jewelry in the past using lost wax procedure and vacuum casting.

I am disappointed in the 3D thing. I have 30 year old AutoLite CAD, internet CAD drawings and misc. CAD drawings. When I open or modify them, they all stay the same. I expected the same with the .stl file and learned it isn't so. Live and learn.

Thank

The issue is that .STL files do not contain information that lets your CAD program know what the exact size is. F3D is Fusion360's save format, and you can export your files to .3MF and your slicer will know what to do with it while still allowing a cad program to open and edit it. I think F360 eliminated .STL entirely, but it's been a while since I've used it. Still have to unpack my printer.

So what is the general consensus? If I draw this holder back up in .f3d, what should I save or export it as to send to a 3D printer company?
Again, I don't know nothing about this program. I'm learning it to make 3D forms for casting mainly and some tool box dividers.

Just went and checked Prusa and it says it supports and recommends .3mf. Thanks. I will export the ten percent file as .3mf and see what it opens too.

Last edited:
From what I can tell the Prusa that I ordered... Well, I guess not so much the machine, but the slicer program will either work with ,STL or .STEP files.
I'm not sure about sending the files to a 3D company. I would think they would be able to deal with either file format.

The gear was sent as .stl. Worked great since it was drawn up from rough measurements and a description. That is part of what speeded me up to go to 3D printing. Now just trying to make sense of it.

The issue is that .STL files do not contain information that lets your CAD program know what the exact size is. F3D is Fusion360's save format, and you can export your files to .3MF and your slicer will know what to do with it while still allowing a cad program to open and edit it. I think F360 eliminated .STL entirely, but it's been a while since I've used it. Still have to unpack my printer.
I only have 2D CAD program and it won't open up anything. Working on finding something to convert .3MF file to something that can be checked or verified. Opening up the program in Proform, they show a box around with dimensions. Trying to work out if it is correct for what I want. I'm in a MAC right now. Will look to see if any Windows programs are available.

I don't see that happening with 2D. It's a 3D Mesh object, and there's no 2D views embedded in it. Not sure what else is around, but maybe sketchup or one of the other free cad programs would work with it? Speaking of that FreeCad should, but it's not real easy to learn (for me at least).

I have been doing a bit more research. Fusion may be able to convert a .stl to a solid model, at least it used to be able to. I was able to insert and get to scale correctly by inserting in millimeters.

I have been following these instructions:

I managed to split the two pieces into separate bodies, but it way overloads my computer to try to do anything. No real luck yet.

Okay, another thread I have no business posting in, because I can't find a sustainable use for a threedee printer and all I've got to contribute is 20 years of experience with SolidWorks.

I see two issues here.

One, when drawing the dimensions are the king. Everything is derived from this base information. *Don't scale parts.* Redraw them if you have to, but simply setting the driving dimensions one by one and clamping them down is how you get a fully defined 3D part.

The other is post-processing. We need to post-process G code toolpaths (or threedee printing magic) from the solid model to send to the printer or CNC controller. For CNC, it can be done with a stratospheric commercially-priced SolidWorks or Fusion360 plugin. For plasma and 2d machining, I use SheetCAM. Threedee whoopees use Slicer. There are others, use what works. The post processing program converts a description of the solid model into a litany of machine movements. This will vary depending on the machine and what type of outputs you need to tweak before letting the machine spit out parts. I do not think you will find any machine that can be fed a solid part file and generate its own movements, you will need this intermediate step (after you work out your solid modeling issue).

Back