Fusion 360-I can do it!

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I see you guys and gals post drawings or designs of ideas or projects you are working on using some sort of design or drafting software.
I really want to learn how to be able to put my ideas/plan on paper in a manner that shows at least some competence.
Fusion 360 has turned on a light in my head.
I downloaded the free 30 day trial, I have been watching the videos, I was ready to give up, then one morning this week, I was using my work computer and Fusion 360 is working as designed.
My laptop PC I have in my shop was not allowing me to use the software the way it is shown and described in the training videos.
It is probably the Windows 10 version. I see the software will not work with the 32 bit system.
It is either that or the broadband is too slow. I can watch the training videos, so I am assuming I have enough speed?
My work computer is fast and the software works exactly like it is supposed to.
This morning I was able to put some simple plans/ideas on the screen and it is making sense!!
I designed a piece of steel stock, drilled a hole, threaded it, put a chamfer, added an extrusion, made a bushing, rounded corners, added cut outs for clearance etc. etc.
I began a drawing using some of the pallet options, adjusted for thickness, changed angles etc. You can see I am motivated!!
I plan on purchasing the software, I'll play around for the rest of the month to be sure. I may need to get a new computer for the shop. They are pretty cheap these days.
This is great!!

Note that for small business (startups) and hobby users, there is a free version. Supporting them is nice if you can though. From what I've read, 360 doesn't need a lot of internet speed, so I suspect the shop computer isn't up to it, particularly if it's a 32-bit system, though it is possible it's capable of running a 64 bit Windows version, it's a lot of hassle for those less familiar with installing machines from scratch though.

I hope I'll see some plans posted! It's always nice to see designs from the community.

It is definitely a fun program!! Once you wrap your head around the idea of going from Sculpt mode to Model mode and everything in-between, it can be very liberating to work with. And, importing from McMaster-Carr is a breeze.

The one area I wish I had a stronger understanding of would be the Simulation mode. NEED MORE TIME.:D:D

Last edited:
I am learning a bunch from Paul McWhorter.
His style agrees with me.

Unless you are using it for business in excess of $100,000/yr you can use it for free. I've been using it for a while now. Internet speed should not be an issue other than when a file is saved and uploaded or downloaded. When you are working, it's all on your local PC. If your one PC is not 64 bit that may be the issue; I'm not up to speed on that. I use it on both my laptop and desktop at home.

Check out Lars Christensen
He's the best I've seen for learning. He has a couple hundred videos and he works for AutoCAD.

I think Fusion 360 is assume!

Have fun!

Back