Fusion 360 Q&A for Hobby Machinist Members

No.

I use CamBam and Estlecam to generate g-code. They are not nearly as easy to use as Fusion's cam module, CamBam is very capable, it can do 3d waterline milling, 3 axis engraving on curved surfaces, trochoidal pocketing and contouring (with a free plugin) chamfering (plugin).

A CamBam license is 150$, perpetual. The CamBam forum is a great rousource for learning it, as well as YouTube videos

Estlecam is about 50$ and good for quick 2d pocketing/contouring and simple engraving.

I also keep a hobby license for fusion, just for the CAM, but dont use it much anymore.

CamBam is very capable once you get the needed plugins, and learn to use it.

Last edited:
Could you briefly describe how Alibre provides facilities equivalent to “Joint” in Fusion with all the variations? At $350/year for updates, Alibre is not that much cheaper than Fusion when on sale. Maybe you don’t figure you need updates. Next OS rev you might find yourself wishing you had an update subscription.

By joints, are you referring to motion constraints in an assembly?

If so, it's handled the same way as with Inventor. With assembly constraint types like cylindrical rotation, cylindrical translation, face/face, then assigning axis of rotation/translation and range of motion constraints. You need "Design Expert" for motion and animation functions. Design pro can't do motion or animation in assembly files.

If your talking about weldments or sheet metal, I've never messed with the weldments or sheet metal module.

As far as updates, as a hobbyist I'm not concerned about it. After a few years, if I want the latest version I'll pay a maintenance fee. 350$ every few years for the latest version is fine with me.

I still have a Fusion 360 Hobby license, and enjoy using it. I've no doubt it's the most popular for good reason. I havn't used it in awhile though, just wanted to try something different with Alibre.

Last edited:
I’m actually referring to the very powerful Joints facility in the F360 modeling workspace, but what you provided was enough to get a flavor for the Alibre subset facility. Thanks.

It's a d1-4 stud.

I've been wanting to make one, to use in a driving dog stud. I saw Quinn, in a Blondiehacks video using one, and wanted one ever since.

They 25$ is each online, but I wanna make one.

Back