Fusion 360 Q&A for Hobby Machinist Members

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Discord server is up! Join at the following link:

I'm working on my CNC lathe project, fiddling around with modeling some brackets for my servo motors. Willing to answer questions and help members out in learning basics around Fusion 360.

Bryan

Attachments

• 1635557537405.png
    1635557537405.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 21
I tried to join this but there seems to be a problem. I get an error saying "Something's going on here" and asking me to verify my account. I did so by email and then got the same error message asking me to enter my cell phone number. That's not gonna happen!

1635565551363.png
Robert

I tried to join this but there seems to be a problem. I get an error saying "Something's going on here" and asking me to verify my account. I did so by email and then got the same error message asking me to enter my cell phone number. That's not gonna happen!

View attachment 383627
Robert

It’s just two factor authorization. Nothing to worry about. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but for some reason it would not accept my email as 2 factor even though email was an option? I will try again.
Robert

Just joined. Thanks Bryan!

I don't know if this is related to Robert's problem, perhaps others have had this, I just renewed for $445...2 days later, I keep getting hounded by Autodesk asking if they could set up a time to find out why I canceled my subscription. Had me worried and I tried to setup that appt....4 weeks out was ASAP! Anyone else received those emails?

I don't know if this is related to Robert's problem, perhaps others have had this, I just renewed for $445...2 days later, I keep getting hounded by Autodesk asking if they could set up a time to find out why I canceled my subscription. Had me worried and I tried to setup that appt....4 weeks out was ASAP! Anyone else received those emails?
Yes, I got such an email and scheduled an appointment to talk with them - about 8 days out. They called on time last Friday to discuss this. The discussion went like this:

I'm with an independent research firm hired by Autodesk to understand why people have let their licenses expire.

First question: Did you in fact just let a Fusion 360 paid license expire?

ME: Yes.

Why?

ME: Because I bought a 3 year license when it was on sale for 40 percent off, and that license was running concurrently. So there was no need to renew the old license.

OH. That's interesting. Were you happy with this migration to a new license?

ME: Hell no. I had 9 months left on the first license that became worthless when I took advantage of the 3-year license sale. I asked for an additional time credit on the new license for some portion of the unused first license, and I was told that was not possible. The whole "on sale" hard sell bit felt pretty slimy - certainly didn't enhance the reputational value of Autodesk in my mind, and you can bet all my friends heard about my experience.

Got it. Do you have any other comments.

ME: Yes. Fusion 360 is a massive program with facilities for sheet metal, electronics, generative design, animation, etc. I only use a small fraction of it's capabilities. So I'm paying for a bunch of facilities I will never use. I would like to see Autodesk modularize the product into subsetted versions - some kind of cafeteria plan where I can pick and choose which facilities I want and pay only for them. It strikes me that someone doing sheet metal work is pretty unlikely to be interested in PCB board layout and electronic schematics for instance. Similarly, I don't have CNC equipment that requires the CAM capability - I use the modeling and drawing workspaces exclusively.

I switched to Alibre Design Pro a few weeks ago. Coming from Inventor and Fusion, Alibre lacks a few sketching conveniences, and makes some things a little more monotonous, but does other things better.

It's similar enough that someone accustomed to Fusion will be modeling parts immediately, but I find myself hunting for the little tools that are handled differently and are in different places.

It has a learning curve, but not so steep as when going from Autocad to Inventor.

I like the perpetual license most. Once you buy it, it's yours.

I modeled a d1-4 stud and face mill to take TCMT lathe inserts a few days ago. It took about an hour to model the parts, create a dimensioned drawing and render an image.

Last edited:
Does Alibre have a CAM module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back