Fusion 360 Rule#1

Different strokes I guess. It's simply about creating a component before you draw it. It really does make life easier. In any case, the post is for people who are using F360. :) Might not even apply for other tools like solidworks where the normal workflow is different.

Sorry if I offended you, by mentioning other software, I am still new on this Website.

But I saw members mentioning "Other Programs" and so, shared my experience (or Lack thereof) with F360.

I hesitate at storing ~anything~ in "the Cloud" I often work where No Internet is available.

philip, from the Great Pacific NorthWET.

Sorry if I offended you, by mentioning other software, I am still new on this Website.
But I saw members mentioning "Other Programs" and so, shared my experience (or Lack thereof) with F360.
I hesitate at storing ~anything~ in "the Cloud" I often work where No Internet is available.
philip, from the Great Pacific NorthWET.

LOL no offense taken! Sorry if it sounded that way!

I have been using Fusion for some time and I have no idea what parts of that video mean! And that is a beginner level video!
What he is saying between 3:30 and 4:00 is especially confusing, in fact I believe he used the word "this" to refer to two different objects in consecutive sentences?
Robert

Last edited:
Wow, I've been using Fusion for some time and didn't know you could do that. That will be a huge timesaver. If you have to go back in a large model and look for some sketch you made to change a dimension, it is very time consuming. I have been building one model to figure out the dimensions, then modeling each peice serparately and doing an assmebly model in order to get everything right. This might elleminate that proces for me. Thanks.

I went through the registration process but Fusion360 requires a Windows or Mac to run. Unfortunately I'm running Ubuntu. If I want a parametric CAD program it appears my only choice is OpenSCAD. At least that way I don't have to fib about being a student :D
You don't need to fib at all. Fusion is free to hobbyist and students, and any business making less than $100,000/year.

I have been using Fusion for some time and I have no idea what parts of that video mean!

Glad to hear it's not just me.
If that's rule number one I should just give up now!
-brino

I know right? Like I said, I had to use it for awhile for the advise to make sense to me too!
I had to go back and see what @rwm was referring to. It boils down to any discrete part that you make, should be created first. This is like creating an empty file, or an empty word document before you start writing to it. Then when you start creating sketches, and bodies to make up that component, everything is kept together inside that component on that tree of stuff you see on the left. Now, when you need to go back to find the sketch you drew for it to make a change, you go straight to that component, and look in the "sketches" folder inside it. Otherwise, you're looking thru a mountain of sketches (potentially) for all the different things you've drawn that are ALL in one generic group. It's a real PITA.

Does that help at all?

Last edited:
I have found that Lars Christensen's videos have helped with getting acclimated to F360 especially with the component vs. bodies problem.

Basically, Rule #1 is that you should always create a component before you model another part in your assembly if you want to base the geometry of the new component off from an existing one. I made the mistake of not doing this several times and then I watched Lars videos. He makes it easy to follow.

Basically, Rule #1 is that you should always create a component before you model another part in your assembly if you want to base the geometry of the new component off from an existing one.

It’s best to create a new component and activate it before you make the first part. That way, every part is in its own component. If you wait for the second part, then the first one is on a different level and is not like the others. Remember to activate each component as you work on it.

If a project is just one part then there is no advantage to creating a component, as far as I know. It’s only when you have multiple parts in one project that it matters.

And yes, it is very helpful. You cannot go back and move things into a component later. Trying to do so produces a different result from starting the component up front.

Since you guys seem to understand this better than I, maybe you could answer a few basic questions? I have looked at the online tutorials and I cannot get satisfactory answers. They use circular logic to define these concepts! A Component is not an Body and can be used in an Assembly. An Body is not a Component and cannot be used in an Assembly. Great.
What is the real difference between and Body and a Component. I get that the software treats them differently but why? Why are Bodies not automatically treated as Components so I could select a Body and place it in an Assembly? It makes no sense to have to convert them unless there is something mathematical in the program that we can't see that requires this. Furthermore, after I convert to a Component does that limit my ability to revise or edit it? Can I convert a Component back to an Body? I guess I am trying to understand why this is fundamentally necessary and not just "because the program says so."
At what point should I convert a Body to a Component when drawing? As soon as I have a 3D object? Again, if this is the case why doesn't the program treat all 3D objects as Components?
I usually create components in different files and then put them together in an assembly in another file. That is simple enough. Maybe that is what I am missing? Are you saying I should do all the work in one drawing (file) with multiple components?
Robert

(Edited for correct terminology.)

Last edited:
Back