[Antique] G.a. Planer-seeking Advice.

bfxdw16

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I have also posted this request on other sites for assistance. I apologize for the redundancy. I am an advance newbie to machining, if there is such a thing. I have been hobby welding for years. I am a die-hard history buff especially when it comes to tools and construction methods. I am assisting a friend who runs a machining business with the sale of some of his older machines. His oldest unit is a 72 inch G.A. Planer. It is in immaculate condition and still runs although it hasn’t been used in years. I do not know if there is any market for the planer. We have had several people that offered to haul it away for scrap prices. I would prefer not to send it to the scrap yard. This unit has a single phase motor that doesn't require any special wiring to be installed. Others equipment we are surplusing has 3 phase motors that most hobby machinist would not want to deal with. I have found several post of similar models but they w are in rough condition. It is presently listed on eBay and Craigslist just to see if there is any interest. I figured I would post in this forum because many of you appear to have the same interest in quality seasoned tools as I do. Any advice would be helpful.

IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1297 (1).JPG IMG_1298.JPG

My lord that's pretty. I would certainly be interested in it if you are not planning on keeping it. ill send my info after the kids are asleep

Update: I misspoke and have been corrected by a forum member. The motor is actually 3 phase. I apologize for the error.

Please don't assume that 3 phase machinery doesn't interest us hobbyists. Just in the short time I've been a member I have been very impressed by how readily the others on this site adapt their shops in order to enjoy older vintage machines.

I guess they would be willing to haul it away for free! I would even throw in a six pack!! Seriously, that is a beautiful machine, and it needs to find a good home. Please concentrate on finding it the right home where someone who lives old machinery will love it, care for it, and actually USE it. Here is the kind of person I am talking about:
Dave has 10 videos up now, all well worth watching.
Dave might be interested, or know the right someone...

I guess they would be willing to haul it away for free! I would even throw in a six pack!! Seriously, that is a beautiful machine, and it needs to find a good home. Please concentrate on finding it the right home where someone who lives old machinery will love it, care for it, and actually USE it. Here is the kind of person I am talking about:
Dave has 10 videos up now, all well worth watching.
Dave might be interested, or know the right someone...

Thanks Mr Korves, I have reached out to Mr Richards. Hopefully he will know someone who can give it a home. Thanks again.

I purchased one about that size several years ago that was complete but had been outside for years, so very rusty and dirty. I paid $1000 for it. That was on the west coast, so they are more rare here, but I would expect that one to bring in the neighborhood of $1500-2000. Smaller, older ones will bring more. There hasn't been one on eBay for 3 years or so, so you won't find any pricing help on there. That is a very nice machine. I would ebay it in auction format, I expect you will get a decent price for it from someone who intends to use or preserve it. If I lived closer, I would be making deal for it, not giving you advice :)

Some videos of the machine in action. We fired it up this morning. Has not been run in years. Started with no problem. Ran like a top

Back