G. Dufour Universal Milling Machine

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hi all,
i was once again surfin' craigslist and found my newest addition to the arsenal
i'm into old and odd stuff, this one takes the cake!!!
she's going to need some work done to her. maybe a little(lot) more than a coat of paint and a clean up.
sometimes i'm too stupid or proud to back down

May i introduce you to Joy, my first universal milling machine.
She was manufactured in France for the USA market.
she's seen better days, looks like she got into a fight with an ugly stick and possibly got the ugly stick broken on her.
she doesn't feel sloppy but as all the equipment i seem to find , it needs a good cleaning. we'll start there....
her's a few pix for the interested

133.jpg
129.jpg

the mill has a vertical milling head as well as horizontal milling machine features.

the vertical and horizontal spindles are NMTB40 taper. the machine came with a pile of tool holders but no cutters.
the owner also threw in a static converter he wasn't sure how to hook up.
the machine came out working claimed the second owner, but it is a three phase machine
and was never run by the second owner.

132.jpg
130.jpg

131.jpg

this mill has a universal table that can be skewed 60* from center axis (30*+ and 30* - from 90*)

134.jpg

it has rapid traverse functions on the vertical and crossfeed axes.

she is still at her old home, i'm planning to pick her up next week.
until then i'm doing research and collecting literature on the old girl.

one source that already has been helpful is a French Machinist Forum

http://www.usinages.com/forum.html

i was able to download manual/ parts book after registering .

(Thanks Phil 916 for the information and link!!!!!)

thanks for looking and reading,
any resources or hints would be greatly appreciated

133.jpg 129.jpg 132.jpg 130.jpg 131.jpg 134.jpg

Last edited:
it looks like a very well made universal mill--and I really like the vertical head---I wish I had the vertical head for my universal mill---be sure and take pictures after cleaning it up---nice addition to your shop----Dave

U Sir, Suck. I'm green with envy. I need one that comes with the skill to utilize all of it's capability. Have fun with it.:))

Dave & Leeq

i'll be spending a considerable amount of time translating French to English to read and understand the basic manual i was able to get.
perhaps a few of the functions i may never use for practical purposes but one never knows what the future may bring.

i believe it is better to have capability rather than wishing i had the capability.

thanks guys for reading!!!

You have been doing pretty well lately:)

Looks like an interesting machine, enjoy! -J

ho damn, that's an impressive machine! I'd definitely need to read a manual before trying out all those handles and levers :) Looks like it just needs a good clean and oil and it'll be good to go..

ho damn, that's an impressive machine! I'd definitely need to read a manual before trying out all those handles and levers :) Looks like it just needs a good clean and oil and it'll be good to go..

Thanks Tool-in the-box and mattthemuppet!!!

i haven't had a French class ever, i'm trying to learn French nomenclature on some old scanned images from a manual.
the manual was in pretty good shape but a little pixelazation occurred when printing out from the pdf file.
it's clear enough to read in most instances but some of the drawings aren't so good.
the manual looks like it was done by hand with the exception of a few stamps.
it's not what i would call a good manual , it lacks a lot of technical information.
but on the plus side the mechanical drawings are sufficient and detailed. they appear to be a copy of the draftsmen's work and show just about everything from the cut away view.

unfortunately, Joy is going to need a little more than cleaning.
there are some bearings that need to be replaced, i know this already.

i'll break my machine down and detail the operations i perform for those interested.

thanks to all for reading and commenting!!!

I think the AM/FM cassette player is a very unique option for a milling machine...

I think the AM/FM cassette player is a very unique option for a milling machine...

:rofl:,
the worst part is i didn't get the stereo in the deal !!!!:lmao:
the old owner snapped the pictures for me before i went to look at her.
the table was cleared when i arrived!
but you got me thinkin' and that's not always a good thing....:jester:

Back