G. Dufour Universal Milling Machine

That Dufour follows the design lines of the Schaublin SV52:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublinmiller/page6.html

I think you have scored a gem there.

Paul.

Thank you Paul!!!!

i have a worm gear that transmits power indirectly from the traversing motor that has seen better days.
it's not broken yet but it's pretty dang thin.
a couple pictures.

worm gear 1.jpg
the steel gear (above) is still serviceable, the bronze gear, well... not so serviceable.

worm gear 2.jpg
worm gear 3.jpg

i'm open to parts sources or other means of getting this gear replaced
thanks in advance for the help!!!

- - - Updated - - -

worm gear 1.jpg worm gear 2.jpg worm gear 3.jpg

i'm open to parts sources or other means of getting this gear replaced thanks in advance for the help!!!

Have you tried Boston Gear? No personal experience with them, but a shop teacher suggested them for a metal version of the broken plastic gear that went on my previously owned Grizzly mill. I've heard their name bandied about a bit, too.

Nice find. Which list were you surfing and where'd you have to go to get it?

-Ryan

Have you tried Boston Gear? No personal experience with them, but a shop teacher suggested them for a metal version of the broken plastic gear that went on my previously owned Grizzly mill. I've heard their name bandied about a bit, too.

Nice find. Which list were you surfing and where'd you have to go to get it?

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the suggestion of going to boston gear, i'll do some research...

on Craigslist, i usually type in the name of the piece of machinery spelled correctly and then i check for misspelled machinery as well
you'd be surprised how many interesting things i find misspelled or mislabeled.
I check all but the most remote california listings.
I got the mill from a guy who lives in Daly City.
i can't wait to bring her home but i'll have to wait until next week for that...

That appears to be a double lead screw, making the worm gear a tad trickier to hob. The helix angle is steeper. If Boston can't help, look at Martin. If not them, let me know. I have some other sources.

Wow - what a great looking machine! Looking forward to seeing it develop.

I'm realising that I have met another milling machine obssessive!

Wish they fell into my lap like they do yours :)) .

Cheers,

gary

i haven't had a French class ever, i'm trying to learn French nomenclature on some old scanned images from a manual.

Hi Ulma,

Looks to be a nice machine :)) !. If you face some difficulties in translation I am eager to support you as much as I can :)).

Best regards,
FB29

gorgeous machine!!
Have you made any chips yet?

Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl,
Thank you, she is just great isn't she!!!
Yes she had made some test cuts on some aluminum and steel.
the traversing gear system has been removed from the mill, so all table and knee movements are manual for the time being. i have an oil leak at the drive gear for the collapse-able driveshaft that drives the table feeds.
luckily the seals and bearings are standard metric and easily obtainable.
i have the replacement seal, but have not got into the project yet.
it's gonna be messy and i would like to devote more than an hour at a time to make things right.
kinda the story of my life, too many projects- not enough free time for the near future.

i'll be sure to post pictures of future operations
thanks for reading and commenting!!!
mike:))

Hi Ulma,

Looks to be a nice machine :)) !. If you face some difficulties in translation I am eager to support you as much as I can :)).

Best regards,
FB29

Thank You very much FB29!!!
i'm going to need all the help i can get finding parts!!!
mike:))

Great looking machine. :thumbzup3:

Do you plan to get it up & running or do a full frame up restoration?

Back