G & E Shaper, Almost ready to make chips--How to adjust stroke length and H/L trans?

One of the problems with getting a vintage machine back into service is that you don't know if previous owners' had it setup correctly. One of the reasons for my many dumb questions LOL. The machine came to me with the table block screw running on the machined surface that the support slides on. Two seconds on the arbor press had the block free of the support. Apparently someone tried to get it off the support; there are punch marks made by a center punch.

Silverbullet, I agree that HSS bits are cheaper than milling bits/cutters. Besides, shapers are just cool and can do things that a mill cannot. I need to cut a rack that needs to be at least 30" long (I have a piece of stock 48" long and may use it all). Way too long to do on the mill and I want to leave it in one piece rather than trying to piece 10" long racks together. Perfect job for a shaper.

Mike

Contact these guys if you want to know the exact year your G&E came into the world. They acquired the last known info. and parts for G&E machines.
RP Machine Enterprises Inc.
Phone 704-872-8888
Fax 704-872-5777
www.rpmachine.com

Keep posting progress. I look forward to the rack cutting project photos or video.

Back