G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

Significant step up from the usual 12x36 (and their almost copycat "big" brothers the 13x40 and 14x40 crowd).

The one dimension that nobody seems to talk about is Bed Width. The bed on this is 10" wide (vs the 7" found on most 12x36, 13x40 and 14x40). That translates into a lot more rigidity. This thing weighs twice what the smaller lathes weigh.

Been to the show room to check it out? They look pretty decent. I was really tempted, but settled instead for a G0709 (and spent some of the money I saved on a Tormach).

If you already have a Bison Set-Tru chuck, you could just buy a D1-6 backing plate to adapt it to this machine.

Just one note: it helps to place this machine where you have access behind it, as it is easier to clean out the chip collection area from the back than from the front.

Be aware that the G0670 will require a rotary phase converter. The Yasakawa VFD that is installed is not oversized enough to sucessfully run on single phase from what I can tell and have learned from talking with Yasakawa technical help. Nice looking lathe and made in Taiwan. I have been planning on buying one, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

cheers
michael

but I think it would be a good idea for me to drive up to their Bellingham, WA showroom....Yes one reason I'm considering this lathe is the 13x40 and 14x40 just seem to be stretched versions of the 12x36. ....Not an apples to apples comparison but then there is the made in Taiwan G0670 variable speed with built in VFD on sale for $13,495...

Fortunately, I travel to Vancouver Island, BC via Bellingham at least once a month on business, so get a chance to stop and drool frequently. Picked up my G0709 on the way back last year (my wife was surprised). I wish the Bellingham showroom were as big as the ones back East.

The typical 13x40/14x40 really are not a significant improvement over the venerable 12x36. Sure, they (sometimes) give you a better QCGB, but the extra 0.5-1" of height on the spindle cost almost nothing to manufacture, and since the machine is not any beefier, you are actually compromising rigidity. And extra 4" length? hmm....

Yeah I drooled over the G0670. Pretty nice.

As long as we are talking about nice machines, talk a look at the Precision Matthews PM1440TS. This is a machine that Matt does not advertise on his website, but a number of customers have raved about it. These sell for $8000 or $9000 (variable speed), and have a 9" wide bed. Made in Taiwan.

PM-1440TSampVT_zpsj19n8b7k.jpg

He also sells the RML1440, which is the same as the two you picked from Grizzly. For about $1k cheaper.

What hurts is I just purchased the Aloris BXA tool post and a bunch tool holders.

So what you are saying is you have a brand new Aloris to unload... hmm, I could trade you my Authentic Genuine Grizzly Piston Type BXA toolpost (those don't grow on trees you know) and a few bucks.... my Grizzly BXA is WAY better than the one you got stock with you G4003G. Way better...

Every time Enco has had a coupon 20-25% off, I have put that Aloris in the shopping cart, looked at the savings.... and then moved on. One of these days. I keep waiting for the planets to align, with the Aloris on-sale at the same time a 20% off + free shipping comes out.

[Walks away to go check the Enco March hot deals catalog...] DOGONE IT! Coolidge, now you got me doing that...

Last edited:
A Grizzly piston BXA hmmm let me just think about that for a moment...:finger wag: I think I'll go Dorian CXA if I get the G0509G, Grizzly has good prices on them.

I just showed my brother the G0509G, he almost purchased one of these marketed under another brand a few years ago, he thought it was decent. Keep in mind he's a Mori guy, he and his partners just purchased a $200k Mori. Just a 6 position live tooling head that came in today cost them $8k dah-umm.

If I had the wherewithal to be shopping at this price point, I'd probably be inclined to hire a rigging company and get it done right. But then I'll likely never have to solve that problem. :)

I've considered the 509 many times and don't pull the trigger due to the 3 phase. I hate the idea (and cost) of adding a phase converter.

He also sells the RML1440, which is the same as the two you picked from Grizzly. For about $1k cheaper.

Hard to compare the RML 1440 to the Griz G0670, the grizzly has variable speed, fully tooled and constant surface speed on the crossfeed. That and with Grizzlys shipping makes it over a thousand less than the RML. The grizzly does have a 4 side toolpost that would need to be put on the shelf for something usable though. The G0670 is also a 16" lathe and has triple spindle bearings. I am not sure the 1440 RML has triple bearings on spindle. I was never able to get a copy of the manual or specs on machine. I did get a price and the Griz was a better deal even with having to build a rotary converter, and its usually in stock, not so with the RML, 2-3 month wait was what I was quoted.

For that kind of money a used Mori or Webb looks attractive, except a 17" lathe at 5000 lbs is a bit more than I care to deal with on a concrete floor of unknown provenience. My only concerns with the G0509g are the skinny little headstock which looks a bit miniature for a 16" machine, and the fact that it is made in China and likely has Chinese motor and electronics, which would be a big concern for me.

its always a tough call buying a new machine, unless the proverbial deal of a lifetime drops in your lap.

michael

Back