G0602 break in kinda vague help please

AIrlineRefueler

Registered
Registered
Ok finally getting ready to break it in. I understand the 10 minutes at each speed and then 10 min in reverse at 2400 rpms to finish break in for spindle . But what about the break in settings for the gearbox my manual says alpha set to C and numerical set to 1 for the whole break in. Do I need to run it in some of the other settings , like say alpha A and B and numerical 2 and 3 to smooth up the other gears in the box? Aaron

Also wondering about the warning plate that says do not change between high and low while running I assume that means not changing between the gear box settings while running.

I have not cut any metal yet , am still waiting on some bits etc to arrive in the mail. But I have acquired most of my measuring tools, and drills and drill chuck and a live center. And I have to find some stock this week to practice on. Aaron

Hi AirlineRefueler, I have been changing gears on my g0602 while its running since I got it. Bear in mind mine is variable speed and I usually hover around the 500rpm, but have done at higher speeds without any ill effect. I'd say it will soon knock off any burrs left by manufacturing.

Last edited:
This is my belt position. Have not changed it in several years.

P1010755.JPG

Charl

But what about the break in settings for the gearbox my manual says alpha set to C and numerical set to 1 for the whole break in. Do I need to run it in some of the other settings , like say alpha A and B and numerical 2 and 3 to smooth up the other gears in the box?

I assume you are talking about the QCGB. No break-in is necessary... or possible. Due to the low speed of the gears in that gearbox, you would have to runs it for tens of hours to "break in" the gears.

I agree with tmarks11, considering the precision of the components and the loads its subjected to I wouldn't even consider the gearbox as a candidate for run in. If I had bought a new $10,000+ machinetool (the sky's the limit), yes I would definitely consider a period of running in prior to heavier use. The manufacturer of such a machine would recommend a suggested schedule so as not to void any warranty. Bear in mind that the manufacturer may have already performed a specific breakin of say the spindle bearings in-house.
For a G0602 which I consider a tool not of spectacular precision until enhanced, warranty is voided as soon as I get my grubby little hands on it. Think of all the forum members who have bought such a machine and have modified it to a better more usable state. It would be interesting to see how many have voided their warranty. (is there a thread anywhere discussing this?)

Hi AirlineRefueler, I have been changing gears on my g0602 while its running since I got it. Bear in mind mine is variable speed and I usually hover around the 500rpm, but have done at higher speeds without any ill effect. I'd say it will soon knock off any burrs left by manufacturing.

Really? I never heard of a lathe that allows you to change gears on the gear box while the lathe is running. Does the G0602 have synchromesh?

Really? I never heard of a lathe that allows you to change gears on the gear box while the lathe is running. Does the G0602 have synchromesh?
Well, I assume the gears have not chipped or broken, so far... Spur gears are not meant to be shifted on the fly, and I would never even try it...

Back