G0602 Compound Problems. Thoughts, Ideas?

Thanks for the feedback. I just spent the better part of this afternoon going over my SB. It's needing a lot of work to bring it back to a decent spec. I simply do NOT have the time for that. It runs and all the feeds work OK but the ways are a bit worn and everything has a lot of backlash. I think it's time to post it up on Craigslist and just pull the trigger on a 12" lathe.
Dean,

Take a look at the Precision Matthews 12x36 lathe. It's a terrific machine. You can also connect here with "RayC". He's the man to talk to about all things PM. Also, when you call PM at Quality Machine Tools, ask for Matt. He's the owner and a hell of a good guy, in addition to being a supporter of this site and a regular here too.

Cheers,

Squier

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Hey Squier,

I arrived at the PM1030V after MUCH research yesterday. Looks like a great machine and it's within my budget. Variable speed, power cross feed, right and left hand threading, 4 way quick change tool post and more.
More info here: http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html. I'll call Matt today and inquire. Thanks!

Strange issues, I have had a G0602 for years and it is a wonderfull little lathe. Does all that I have asked of it and cannot image how you are having such problems with yours.

I've noticed that Grizzly's machines are very inconsistent. In the past week I've been reading tons of posts and reviews on several machines. Some folks have no problems with a particular model, then other people have many problems with the same model. I think it's due to the lack of consistent quality control procedures at the Chinese factories that produce them.

I've noticed that Grizzly's machines are very inconsistent. In the past week I've been reading tons of posts and reviews on several machines. Some folks have no problems with a particular model, then other people have many problems with the same model. I think it's due to the lack of consistent quality control procedures at the Chinese factories that produce them.

This is true for all import machines including those sold by PM. I have a G0752 (G0602 w/ VFD) and have had zero issues. I also have a PM-727M which I had to have completely replaced. What matters is the level of support you can expect from a given seller. Matt at PM does an excellent job of providing customer service on his machines. He replaced my defective PM-727M at zero cost to me. It only cost me time and frustration.

-Denzil

Just ordered the PM1030V. $2098 shipped!
Dean,

I hope you love your 1030! I have the 1340, but I need a smaller, second lathe. Think I just might ditch the little 1022 Grizzly and join you in ordering a PM 1030.

Have fun brother!

Squier

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

Strange issues, I have had a G0602 for years and it is a wonderfull little lathe. Does all that I have asked of it and cannot image how you are having such problems with yours.
Yeah, mmprestine, My G0602 has been horrendous. It's still in warranty (until 03-26-17) and I'm seriously thinking about trying to send it back for a refund. Figured out today that the Swivel Base #202 on both the original part and a replacement are improperly machined - both sinificantly off. The tech told me he sees this a lot! Not good. Also figured out today that the protractor is off by about 3mm. Nice huh? I know many people have had great luck with Grizzly machines, I'm just not one of them. They are good about sending warranty parts, so that's something I guess. You know I think it says something when my PM 1340 has a 5 Year Warranty. That's 4 Years longer than Grizzly. I believe our friend Dean, who just ordered the PM 1030V will get a 3 Year warranty. The only difference with mine being that mine is made in Taiwan. Matt at PM is a super guy and his team really do a fine job with their customer service. Anyway, I'm really glad your lathe is working out for you!

Best regards,

Squier

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

I found that if you setup the gibs correctly on the Grizzly (and any machine that uses gibs), the whole unit is very stable. It came pretty well decent but if you want absolute precision, you need to make a super precise tuning effort. Grizzly seemed to skimp where it was reasonable but not where it was important and with a mini lathe, well it's a mini lathe.

A new Grizzly also doesn't cost anywhere near a new one of any of the "preferred" brands, and they are very upgradeable while sold in a wide variety so you can focus your money where you need it. If you happen to have a big bad arse lathe, well of course you should probably keep it, if you're gonna use it and if you've got the space.

It's not like most people are helping out the American manufacturing either since most people are not rich enough to purchase a brand new US made unit and likely rarely buy brand new replacement parts directly from those American Manufacturers (because they're too expensive). So without paying them directly, you're just simply giving an American person selling a used machine some money or you're paying a few people that were involved in the final assembly, checks, shipping, and customer service that sold you that new Asian machine. Now if you bought a brand new US made machine, then bravo to you, thanks for keeping the US MFG alive and some may envy your cash flow.

You also have precision machined ways and all that with the Asian models but with a used machine of any type, it'll take some time to verify if you do or not. How well did the previous owner(s) handle the machine too and exactly how good of a machinist were they? Hand fixing all that can take a lot of time and depending on your skill level, you may make things worse. There is also usually a major weight difference depending on the class lathe you buy since the US doesn't really make mini lathes.

Bolting down the mini lathe seems key as well. Makes sense since the reason big lathes are so big is because they need to be heavy/solid otherwise you get chatter plus it's for industrial purposes so it holds industrial sized objects. If any lathe/rotational cutting tool has any wobble at it's base, you're gonna hate your results if you want them to be professional quality.

It all depends on your needs, space, money, skill, opportunity, and time. The truth is any good machinist can turn out solid product on any machine as long as it's solid with the proper tool and the part fits. I also chose to put my big money into a big mill while I've got a light investment in my mini lathe but that's what made sense for me ;)

I've got a King 1022ML, which is the Canadian version of the G0602. Parts are interchangeable and it's made in the same factory as the Grizzly. This has been confirmed by King Canada. I have also had a lot of problems with this lathe including the swivel base. I replaced that part twice before I got one that was machined close to enough to work pretty good. On the first one, one of the dovetails was machined with a longitudinal taper from one end to the other. Took me a while to figure out why it was impossible to adjust the gibs to get them to work through the whole travel. Then one of the gibs had casting flaws in it and got that replaced. One of the swivel bases also had the dovetail machined too low and as a result the gib was riding high on it and because of the location of the adjusting screws the gib would tilt up and only ride along the top edge of the dovetail. Lots more issue too. But after a year with it I think I have resolved most of the issues. It still is not sturdy enough to do any parting but I know there is a fix for that. One of the reasons I kept mine was because there is a big following of this lathe and lots of information available on the web, for fixes and upgrades. Also Grizzly and King stock parts for them. As one owner stated these lathes are "a work in progress".

I can also see that some owners would have good results with them. When I was working through the first issues with my lathe, the dealer allowed me to swap parts from another lathe that was delivered but got damaged in transit. That damaged lathe had none of the issues my lathe had. So it would appear decent ones can be had. Just not by me.

Back