G0602 Cross Slide Modification Need Help.....

cookj320

Registered
Registered
I'm doing a Jim Schroeder modification on my cross slide and wondering if anyone out there has done it?
My issue is, in Jim's write up about replacing cross slide lead screw he doesn't give the gear box settings for LH 16.667TPI threads........any insight in this matter would be of great help. Thanks

2prieef.jpg

2prieef.jpg

I haven't done that mod but if it calls for left hand threads (LH?), you can't turn left hand threads on a std G0602 w/o another mod to make a reverse tumbler, which he has done looking at the picture. I did it to mine, but not his version.

I looked at the gear chart that I created for the 602 and don't see 16.667 tpi as an available option. The closest that I see is 16.62 or 16.71 tpi. It is possible that using the 120/127 gears, you might get closer but not likely to hit the 16.667 exactly. I am assuming that you are trying to hit 16-2/3 tpi or 50/3 tpi.

I'm doing a Jim Schroeder modification on my cross slide and wondering if anyone out there has done it?
My issue is, in Jim's write up about replacing cross slide lead screw he doesn't give the gear box settings for LH 16.667TPI threads........any insight in this matter would be of great help. Thanks

2prieef.jpg
By using the 120 and 127 gears, I think it is possible to come close enough for all practical purposes. With a 56 tooth "a" gear and 40 tooth "b" gear and the QCGB set at IIIC, you should get 16.6677 tpi. I need to verify this but will not be able to do so immediately as I have some other work that need to be done today yet. Possibly this evening or tomorrow.

2prieef.jpg

I haven't done that mod but if it calls for left hand threads (LH?), you can't turn left hand threads on a std G0602 w/o another mod to make a reverse tumbler, which he has done looking at the picture. I did it to mine, but not his version.

Fab, I have done a reverse mod to my G0602 and I believe I'm ready to go forward.......tried[LH threads] twice so far with no luck, keep having multiple Rookie problems..........Like 29.5degrees the other way..........LOL
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I will keep attempting until I use up my 8' rod. LOL

I found some errors in my tables. It turns out that the recommended gears in the link you posted are your best choice. The thread will be 16.6663 tpi. I didn't see the gear box settings but they should be III A. As always check the pitch with a light cut before threading. You should have 25 full threads in 1.5".

I approached the metric/English problem a bit differently. I installed a DRO so I can read the feed in both metric and English. I use the dial knowing that I am moving less distance than the dial indicates which is good.

You are undertaking an ambitious project. Good luck with it!

and maybe you wont. I just looked at his profile and he hasn't been around since January. I hope he is OK. He did a lot of high quality write-ups on his projects.

Back