G0602 Headstock Lube

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
What do you guys use to lube headstock I thought I had read oiling through the port washes out the grease? ?? If that's so anything else you can do ???20150926_234455.jpg

Out of the Grizzly manual for a G0709:
"Headstock Fluid Type......................... ISO 32 (eg. Grizzly T23963, Mobil DTE Light)"

I picked up some ISO32 Hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply or Northern, and used that in my Birmingham.
Need to be sure it is NON-Detergent.
I also tossed a magnet down in the bottom to catch shavings.

_Dan

What do you guys use to lube headstock I thought I had read oiling through the port washes out the grease? ?? If that's so anything else you can do ???View attachment 111488

Grease is oil that melts with heat. It last because it does melt and it is not necessarily the best.
Constant fresh oil is the best for higher speed bearings over 1000 RPM. Follow the instructions. I use the way oil on mine.

If I get into some heat issues then I would go with a bit higher temp rating.
Grizzly T26685 - Moly-D Multi-Function Machine Oil - ISO 32, 1 Gallon

I was concerned with the various posts regarding oiling vs. greasing the spindle bearings so I emailed Grizzly and here is the response:

"The spindle bearings are packed with grease for storage purposes. For operational purposes, you should be oiling the bearings prior to use , every day you use the lathe. This will wash the grease out of the bearings, but they will be properly lubricated with the ISO 32 oil".
I want to protect my investment so I will be oiling.
Bill

Yes, Grizzly told me the same thing for my G0752. They recommend oiling the bearing prior to installing them then use the ball oilers before using lathe everytime. It surprised me because most everyone feels you should grease the bearings... I know this post Is old but someone might be interested.

Last edited:
Lubricating grease is a thixotropic mixture of oil and soap.

Typical Grease is a mixture of a metallic soap and a lubricating oil.
The metallic soap clings to the metal, allowing the oil to prevent metal to metal contact.

Mitch, are you saying you feel its better to use the grease in the bearings instead of just relying on the ball oilers to keep the bearing lubricated?

Mitch, are you saying you feel its better to use the grease in the bearings instead of just relying on the ball oilers to keep the bearing lubricated?

I was simply trying to clarify what grease actually is without taking a position on how bearings should be lubed.

In general, if it slides it gets grease, if it rolls it gets oil
But there are exceptions, such as ways getting oil instead of grease and certain high load rotating gun parts getting grease instead of oil.

Ahh, ok. yea, I was just trying to clarify. I am about to change the spindle bearings on my lathe and have had some people say to grease them but grizzly says to just use oil and put oil in the ball oilers when using the lathe, as usual. Trying to decide if I should use some grease or not. Considering Grizzly recommends not to and your general rule of using oil on things that roll it kinda sounds like I should just use oil. Thing is I know that wheel bearings in cars are supposed to be packed with grease also, but then again it could be because that is alot of force on wheel lbearings so maybe thats why they use grease.. like you say there is always exceptions. Probably considering everything it wouldnt be a big deal either way you chose to do it... decisions, decisions.

Back