G0602 Headstock Lube

Hi all,Just to give my 2 cents I have a 0602 and had it for about 2yrs or so and from the get go I used way oil and no problems my suggestion is do what Grizzly recommends , Rick

Hi Master of none... Actually I do use the way oil in the ball oilers as they say.. what I mean is when replacing the bearings if they should be packed with grease or fill them with oil either way I would be lubricating with the ball oilers as usual. Did you replace your bearings and use no grease, just oil? But Grizzly does recommend not using grease, I would guess they know what they are talking about so I will probably go by that. Thanks for your input. I have used my G0752 for a little over a year and all has been good also, until this, but I cant blame the lathe or grizzly for this.

If the bearings are sealed, like mine, they are factory greased and the oilers don’t do any good. If anything, they would tend to wash the grease out. These bearings are like automotive wheel bearings which are GREASED not oiled. Just my $3.53 worth.

The bearings here are not sealed and grizzly recommends to oil them ,not grease. I have replaced auto wheel bearing sin the past and yes you grease them but at least for the 602 and 752 it looks like your only supposed to oil them. I would imagine if you are not supposed to put oil in yours then you dont have ball oilers in your headstock. Unless your bearings are not the factory type and has been changed. Here is the quote from Grizzl]y .... "We recommend coating the bearings with oil at the time of assembly rather than fully packing the bearing with grease. The ball oilers for the spindle bearings will provide enough additional lubrication for the bearings, with proper lubrication."

Last edited:
Ahh, ok. yea, I was just trying to clarify. I am about to change the spindle bearings on my lathe and have had some people say to grease them but grizzly says to just use oil and put oil in the ball oilers when using the lathe, as usual. Trying to decide if I should use some grease or not. Considering Grizzly recommends not to and your general rule of using oil on things that roll it kinda sounds like I should just use oil. Thing is I know that wheel bearings in cars are supposed to be packed with grease also, but then again it could be because that is alot of force on wheel lbearings so maybe thats why they use grease.. like you say there is always exceptions. Probably considering everything it wouldnt be a big deal either way you chose to do it... decisions, decisions.
The reality is that no one will be oiling their wheel bearings daily or even yearly. Plus because there are grease seals it keeps the grease in.

For the G0602/KC1022/other variants, ISO32 oil is called for by Grizzly et al. Oil each day before you use the lathe and all will be well.

Yes mine were converted by the previous owner. They are sealed.

The reality is that no one will be oiling their wheel bearings daily or even yearly. Plus because there are grease seals it keeps the grease in.

For the G0602/KC1022/other variants, ISO32 oil is called for by Grizzly et al. Oil each day before you use the lathe and all will be well.

Im not so sure no one will be oiling their bearings daily, im talking on a 602/752, you just put a little oil in the ball oiler and your on your way. Of course if it is sealed with grease in it then what would be the point right? Of course from the start the subject really wasn't "sealed" bearings it was of the unsealed normal type used similar to what comes with the lathe.

Back