G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well, since you guys did not let me buy an inexpensive metal lathe to play with :p (link to that thread)... decided to convert my G0704 to a CNC machine. Will document my journey with this project here.

Bought the machine back in 2015 (link to thread)

A few threads and videos I looked at on this. Simple google search... found a few threads on another forum, not sure if it is okay to link to those from this site...so will leave the external links out of the thread for now. Again, simple google search on "g0704 cnc kit" :

Follow up update he made with some additional changes made:

Sent an email to this gentleman to see if he is still making the adapters (I do not have the skills at this point to try to make them myself) :

Ordered a new Y-axis block (saddle - part 68 on the diagram, part number P0704068) to modify before I disassemble my machine... I did not wanted to use a grinder (like in the video from Practical Renaissance) for the modification. Figured I would use my milling machine to make the modifications to the spare saddle before taking my machine apart and then, just swap the modified part.

G0704 Parts Diagram.jpg

I will continue to buy the needed parts as finances allow... hope to have this modification completed in the next few months.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Received a reply from Dave on the adapters. He is still making them.

Placing the order for those.

I think I answered your email.

Good looking kit BTW.

Attachments

• Logan-25.jpg
    Logan-25.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 270
I think I answered your email.

Good looking kit BTW.

Thank you. Was on the road, sorry for the delay on replying. Email reply sent.

Since I still do not have the motors, asking for some guidance on going with 23s on X and Y axis and 34 on Z axis... or if it is better to go with 34s in all axis?? I know this will determine the mounts that you need to provide... again, newbie here asking for some guidance.

Shaft diameter for the motors:

On the 23 it is 8mm
On the 34 it is 14mm

I also want to get dual shaft motors as I do not want to loose the ability to move them manually.

Had not noticed the photo, lol. Yes! I want that set of adapters! They look to be well designed and made.

logan-25-jpg.311273

I will go with 23 on X and Y axis and the 34 on the Z axis. Seems to be what most folks are doing. Sending you another email to confirm that and the shaft size for the couplers.

Thanks again Dave.

These arrived yesterday...

IMG_2961.jpg

Well... parts ordered...

From Dave ( @arizonavideo )

G0704 CNC kit. 3/8" and 1/2" couplers

From https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/

2 - KL-5056E Digital Stepper Driver
2 - NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4BC)
1 - NEMA 34 640 oz-in Stepper Motor (KL34H280-45-8B) Dual shaft
3 - Motor cable connector set
3 - 4 conductor 18GA Shielded Motor wires
1 - KL-8070D Digital Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver-32 bit DSP Based
1 - 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply
1- 5V Breakout Board Power Supply
1- Motor Cable with Connector, 12 feet (for the NEMA 34 since it does not come with one)

And based on some videos from Practical Renaissance, ordered these from Amazon:

Ethernet SmoothStepper CNC Motion Controller
C25 - Smooth Stepper Terminal Board
C6 - Variable Speed Control Board
SinLoon DB25 Adapter with Bracket to IDC 26 Pin Ribbon Cable, Motherboard Slot Plate Parallel Panel DB-25 Female to 26 Pin IDC Socket Flat Cable
Hilitchi 40-Pieces 2 3 4 5 Pin 16mm Thread Male Female Panel Metal Aviation Wire Wire Connector Plug Assortment Kit (2 Pin / 3 Pin / 4 Pin / 5Pin)
1/8" Nylon Electric Solenoid Valve 12V DC Normally Closed NBR
Tolako 5v Relay Module for Arduino ARM PIC AVR MCU 5V Indicator Light LED 1 Channel Relay Module Works with Official Arduino Boards

Sure hope that I am not missing anything... oh, and that I ordered the correct parts... went with individual parts rather than getting a kit on the motors and controllers to be able to leverage the feedback/suggestions from those that know what they are doing....

Last edited:
Now to print a few mounts... using the Thingverse files from Practical Renaissance... mounts for the limit switches, boards, and a cool one for mounting a LED ring light on the spindle. Dusting off the 3D printer...has not seen action in awhile...

Saddle came in... I can make the required modification. Just wanted to be able to do the mods with the milling machine before I take it apart... need to confirm if this is the only modification required... I hope so.

IMG_2963.jpg

Parts from Automation Technologies also shipped.

Back