G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

Something is different from the configuration I had in the old computer... all three axis are accelerating at a faster rate than before. This is creating a torque that makes the leadscrew slipping on the coupling... I need to fix the acceleration on the motors. Seems like they go full blast in a split second. The movement is still control by the Pendant wheel/control... that is not the issue...

I need to go over all the configuration again...

Troubleshooting-0.JPG

Also I had different motor profiles/config...

This is what it looks like in the new machine...

Troubleshooting-1.JPG

I tried playing with it to slow it down...

Troubleshooting-2.JPG

Doing some searches I came across this document: https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27363.0;attach=38008

I might need to look at the Kernel Speed setting on the old machine... that might be influencing what I am seeing...

I need to re-trace my steps when I did the configuration... something is not correctly setup... I also need to go over the manual section on Motor Tuning...

Once this is resolved, is it worthwhile to take apart the motors and apply some loctite on the coupling and motor shaft?

Here, take a look... If I have it on X1, it moves without issues... if I switch to X10 or X100 and try to move it a couple of clicks at the time... torque overcomes grip in the couplings... This is in any of the axis...

Here, take a look... If I have it on X1, it moves without issues... if I switch to X10 or X100 and try to move it a couple of clicks at the time... torque overcomes grip in the couplings... This is in any of the axis...

Hard to tell 100% from a video, but that definitely looks like your motors are stalling rather than the coupling slipping. This is an expected result of going too high on the acceleration.
Doesn’t hurt the machine at all but it basically happens when the next step the motor needs to take arrives too soon and the motor can’t accelerate the inertia of the connected load in time. Reduce your acceleration until this stops happening and then reduce by a further ~20%. That should be a realistic max acceleration.

could be something else, but if all you changed was the acceleration then I have a feeling this is the issue.

What I did was change the computer for the newer one that I had. And install the most recent Mach4 build. I followed the same step for the configuration that I did on the old one.

The images I shared where the default configuration on the Motor screen in the newer notebook. Much different from the one in the older machine.

So there are default differences from the initial install I made due to the build/version for Mach4.

If I connect to the older notebook, all speeds and accelerations on the axis are fine.

I will read the manual and play with the acceleration settings as suggested. This is the easy part.

The difficult part was the wiring and the rest of the hardware setup. Your help was instrumental in getting me here. So glad that is done, hehehe.

Busy day at work so I will work on this in the afternoon.

Last edited:
I just had to... could not resist... :D. Plugged the old computer back to it and gave it a simple X-axis run...

I've found on my G0704 that a lot of rigidity can be gained on bigger tooling like boring heads and facemills if you cut the shank a bit shorter and relieve the back of the tool so the rim of the tool body only contacts the nose of the spindle.

This is how Tormach makes their Tormach Tooling System (TTS) for R8 tools. I've copied that design for my own tooling.

Back