G0704 Heat Issue Resolved

I agree with George - there are issues with that motor. I would guess bearings - especially if they are the cheap Chinese ones. Cooling off the outside of the motor will not solve a bad bearing problem nor will it solve an internal motor wiring problem.

Since you also have problems with the spindle overheating, I would undo the mods to the motor and send the whole machine back. You are just asking for trouble down the road if you continue to run it the way it is.

Greg

I think something is wrong with that motor. Can you put it back like it was before you return it? You may be cooling the outside,but how hot is it way down on the insides? Probably should get the motor exchanged while YOU STILL CAN get warranty work. They won't mess with you if they know you modified the product.

Yes, nothing is permanent and can be easily removed.

Cooling off the outside of the motor will not solve a bad bearing problem nor will it solve an internal motor wiring problem.

I checked te internal temperature and it matches the external. so the cooling seems to be acroos the board, primarily I think do to the pancake fan.

A very poor motor,if it CANNOT be used full speed for more than a short time!! That really is a poor excuse for a motor on Grizzly's part. Never heard of such a thing on a machine. Have seen motors on other devices that can't be run full speed for long. But,those devices are things you would not run for long anyway,unlike a machine tool.

Interesting
I would be inclined to remove the belt assuming it has one, and run this motor without load. Your saying the spindle is very tight, and It could be tight enough that is what is causing the motor to run so hot.

You have managed to get the motor to run at cooler temps, I would get looking at the tight spindle, and get to the root of the problem. The motor usually is easy to replace if it craps out, but having the spindle take a dump, would really suck.

Back