G0704 Runs Slow In Reverse.

DHJ

Registered
Registered
When I was doing the spindle break-in on my new 704 the top speeds in forward rotation was as listed or higher in both high and low gear but when I tried the reverse I could only get 552 rpm in low and 1150 in high gear. I also had a serious rattle in high gear forward rotation above 2100 rpms. Has anyone else experienced this with the G0704 mill/drill. What a great site to learn from, thanks in advance for any replies.
Doug.

Having had some issues with my Grizzly, do not hesitate to call Grizzly tech support. They do try to resolve issues as long as you are cordial. It's a shame but, when we purchase this Chicom equipment stuff like this happens.

Having had some issues with my Grizzly, do not hesitate to call Grizzly tech support. They do try to resolve issues as long as you are cordial. It's a shame but, when we purchase this Chicom equipment stuff like this happens.
Thanks Ironken, I have called Griz and they are working on the problem. Was just wondering if anyone had had the same problem. The rattle at 2100 rpms seems to have gone away when I replaced the drill chuck with a collet and mill bit.

O
Thanks Ironken, I have called Griz and they are working on the problem. Was just wondering if anyone had had the same problem. The rattle at 2100 rpms seems to have gone away when I replaced the drill chuck with a collet and mill bit.
Just talked to Grizzly tech again, he says that the G0704 is designed to run at 1/2 speed in reverse gears, it's normal and they are in the process of changing the manual to state this fact.

O

Just talked to Grizzly tech again, he says that the G0704 is designed to run at 1/2 speed in reverse gears, it's normal and they are in the process of changing the manual to state this fact.

That's good news. Although it sounds kinda odd to me.

Since you're not getting much action from 0704 owners here, have you thought about looking at YouTube and adding a comment. Maybe the person who uploaded the video will go have a look at their machine for you.

I'm glad the rattle problem went away. My 759 (704 with DRO) has always run smooth for me. I did have a DRO scale problem just before it went of warranty, but the machine itself is solid. It does run slower in reverse. I just assumed it was designed that way. The only time I use reverse is when I have the big fly cutter loaded. I screwed up and sharpened the bit backwards. A 3" sweep doesn't have to spin very fast. I'm to lazy to regrind it.

Back