G0709 gearbox face casting sealing to the quick change gear box?????

Well good news, I 'm pretty sure I finally found the leak. There are two steel shafts that are in the gearbox on which the cam and shift forks live. They both are positioned so that they are below the sight glass window. Both of these shafts live in two holes both of which are drilled completely through the gear box. Both of those holes on the right side go into a chamber on the right side of the gearbox that you cannot see into unless you take the forward, reverse shaft lever cover off. Upon taking off that cover I could see where the cam shaft "O" ring had been leaking down the side of the casing and out a hole in the bottom of it where electrical wires go. This hole is on the bottom of the gearbox and allows the oil to spread all over the bottom of the gearbox thus being hard to really find the cause of the leak. The oil in the gearbox had leaked to just below the cam shaft thus leaving about an inch of oil in the bottom of the gearbox which was the reason a lot of oil flowed out of the gearbox upon the removal of the gearbox cover. If the leak had been on the bottom of the gearbox cover the reservoir would have been empty upon removing the cover. I took care of the "O" ring leak and will put the cover back one today and refill, we'll see what happens.

I thank all those that replied and helped.

I'm still a little curious about the 15 inch pound torque for the screws if anyone has an opinion

Am I understanding correctly you don't have to remove the knobs from the front gearbox cover to remove the cover? Also, how do you reinstall the cover? Especially if like an idiot you removed one knob and pulled one shift claw loose?
So could you have fixed the leak by only removing the forward/reverse shaft cover giving you access to the o ring?

Thanks so much for this help.

Jerry
Boise

Back