G0709 lathe question?

I want to thank all that have replied. So if I replace my 32 gear with a 25 I may get a reduction in feed?

If anyone has done anything like this before on our lathes let me know, what gear to change out to what gear to get a slower feed.

I'm sorry for the late response but I've been busy in my shop cutting out metal and my floor is covered in chips from my mill and lathe. Today is clean up day and then more threading and work on my lathe.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I've been looking at some oddball threading that between some of the current selections. Your spreadsheet will help with the gear combos and new gears I'll need to cut to hit the numbers.

Great! I have commenting enabled on the spreadsheet, so please feel free to add comments. I've found and fixed a few typos from my initial data entry, so definitely validate anything before depending on it. I'd love to add change gear specification to the sheet; I'm assuming it's 20⁰ PA since that's pretty much normal for general-purpose modern gears, but can't even guess whether it's metric or imperial... I don't have gage wires to measure them either.

I want to thank all that have replied. So if I replace my 32 gear with a 25 I may get a reduction in feed?

I haven't seen the gear specification posted, so if you are buying or cutting new gears yet don't know the correct spec, I'd suggest using a material that won't damage the gears that came with the machine if the spec is off. Acetal or phosphor bronze might be good choices. I have heard of folks 3d-printing gears from ABS successfully, but these teeth are small enough I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself.

Due to the arrangement of gears, even if you could cut new gears, I do not think there is arrangement which you would work because of interference either with other gears or the case cover.

I looked inside the case cover. There's plenty of room below; the tightest dimension is against the front side of the case. It looks like there is a centimeter or so of radius left against the front of the case cover, but it might require a smaller idler than the 61-tooth idler that is set up by default. So the smaller top driven gear seems a lot simpler if you can find one.

Great! I have commenting enabled on the spreadsheet, so please feel free to add comments. I've found and fixed a few typos from my initial data entry, so definitely validate anything before depending on it. I'd love to add change gear specification to the sheet; I'm assuming it's 20⁰ PA since that's pretty much normal for general-purpose modern gears, but can't even guess whether it's metric or imperial... I don't have gage wires to measure them either.

I haven't seen the gear specification posted, so if you are buying or cutting new gears yet don't know the correct spec, I'd suggest using a material that won't damage the gears that came with the machine if the spec is off. Acetal or phosphor bronze might be good choices. I have heard of folks 3d-printing gears from ABS successfully, but these teeth are small enough I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself.

Don’t want to get us off track here, but would appreciate a lecture on the conditions that warrant an actual need for feed rates below 0.001” per revolution. I haven’t encountered this problem. Thanks in advance.

rifle barrel drilling. All books and data that I've read suggest slower feed rates.

I see Grizzly has a 24t gear for another machine

Back