G0752 Lathe- What Is The Largest Tool U Can Use?

I use Phase II AXA QCTP. I also use mostly 1/4" and some 3/8" tools. If you want to use 1/2" tools, just have the bottom of the tool holders machined down to do so, and be sure to subtract some extra height for fine tuning the height adjustment. It's not Grizzly's problem, although they should have considered that one may wish to add a QCTP it when designing the machine. I bought an Aloris parting tool (1/8"W with replaceable carbide inserts) and had a machine shop cut down the tool holder about 1/8" because it was too hard on my machines/tooling.

If the Grizzly lathe with its original 4-way tool post will hold a 1/2” tool bit at the proper height. Then fine, it’s at the manufacture’s specifications. If “you” modify any part of the lathe and then it will not accept a 1/2” tool bit. Why on earth would you blame Grizzly for the problem? Go out and procure 7/16” tool bits. A 1/2” tool bit is a lot of grinding anyway. Smaller is better sometimes, less grinding. Or modify the recess in the holders on the QCTP. You might find them a little on the hard side to machine with a cutter, or you could grind them…Dave.

In reality, the tool bit is not the weak link in the G0602/G0752 tooling system. With the OEM system, 1/2" tooling was overkill. I have 1/2" tool holders fir those instances where I might need them but most of the tooling I use is 3/8".

For many of us, one of the first "improvements" was to make a modified compound clamp. My particular modification uses a 5/8" thick square plate with six clamping screws instead of two and an extra three screws in the compound dial. Even with that,there is still flex in the tooling system.

Additionally, the drive system used on the lathe is not up to the kind of torque required for heavy cuts. The belt design places a 3L belt on the final drive with the gear belt on the high speed/low torque side. 3L belts are rated for less than .1 hp when driving a 5.5" pulley at 150 rpm.

Bob

In reality, the tool bit is not the weak link in the G0602/G0752 tooling system. With the OEM system, 1/2" tooling was overkill. I have 1/2" tool holders fir those instances where I might need them but most of the tooling I use is 3/8".

For many of us, one of the first "improvements" was to make a modified compound clamp. My particular modification uses a 5/8" thick square plate with six clamping screws instead of two and an extra three screws in the compound dial. Even with that,there is still flex in the tooling system.

Additionally, the drive system used on the lathe is not up to the kind of torque required for heavy cuts. The belt design places a 3L belt on the final drive with the gear belt on the high speed/low torque side. 3L belts are rated for less than .1 hp when driving a 5.5" pulley at 150 rpm.

Bob

So true....

The 1/2 inch tool being a 1/16 of an inch high is with the 4 tool holder and the QCTP (AXA) Phase II tha I have.
Guys, I think if you go to post # 6 above, one line of it, I quoted here, we will all agree. Obviously, Grizzly has no responsibility for the QCTP fitting, BUT, he says that the stock 4 tool holder doesn't get on ctr. with a 1/2" tool bit either. Grizzly is absolutely responsible for their "4 tool holder" to put a 1/2" bit on ctr. as their specs advertise!! Can we all agree with that? JR49

Yes. Call Grizzly and insist on a solution. But go in armed with information, not just that it's not working. Make some measurements, try to determine which component is not in spec. The objective here is to get a working machine. preferably not by having to rebuild it. My G0602 is working and I made measurements in post #7 above for comparison's sake. it should enable narrowing the suspect list. Jojo, feel free to quote my numbers when you talk with them.

Bob

Guys, I think if you go to post # 6 above, one line of it, I quoted here, we will all agree. Obviously, Grizzly has no responsibility for the QCTP fitting, BUT, he says that the stock 4 tool holder doesn't get on ctr. with a 1/2" tool bit either. Grizzly is absolutely responsible for their "4 tool holder" to put a 1/2" bit on ctr. as their specs advertise!! Can we all agree with that? JR49
I think the author of this thread needs to clarify the problem. And the quote that you retrieved was just part of the descriptive problem. The sentence before in #6 says that the factory 4 way tool holder works/is the correct size.

I once did a fun thing in College. Had to write down “how to fold a paper air plane up from a piece of paper”. I then passed the instructions over to the person next to me. I also received instructions from the other side of me. We all followed the instructions verbatim. No one in the classroom made a perfect paper airplane from the instruction given! Conclusion, I can’t write and no one in that room could either…Good Luck, Dave.

The compound is .927" below the centerline on my G0602. The AXA type tool holders are usually (Aloris, Phase II, Shars) specified at 15/16" or .9375" which would be .0105 over center for a 1/2" tool bit. Dorian shows theirs at .875" or .052" under the centerline.

I measured two 250-101 tool holders with 1/2" bits from Grizzly at .944" and .947" , .023" and .020" over the centerline. Shars sells a 250-101XL which is specified for 5/8" tools and measure out at .912" and .917" or .015" and .010" under the centerline with a half inch tool bit. I also measure the 4 way tool, post sent with the lathe and it measures .891" to .897" or .025" and .020" under the centerline with a 1/2" tool bit. Measurements were made with a digital height gage.

The Shars catalog states a 15/16" upper level height which implies that the minimum tool height for a 5/8" tool bit is equal or less than .9375 and for a 1/2" tool bit, the minimum tool height would be equal to or less than 13/16" or .8125". Clearly, their product specification does not match actual measurement.

The bottom line? The OEM 4 way tool post that I received with the lathe will properly seat a 1/2" tool bit on my lathe. Standard type 1 tool holders from most suppliers will not work with 1/2" tool bits on my Grizzly G0602. The Shars 250-101XL and possibly the tool holders will work (barely) on my lathe

There is no requirement that an AXA QCTP fit a Grizzly lathe. When people buy a QCTP, they make the height measurement on their lathe to determine suitability and order accordingly. Grizzly does have an obligation to ensure that their OEM tool holder works as specified. I would measure the distance from the base of your tool holder to the floor of the tool slot (mine is .394") and the distance from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle (mine is .927"). I would also measure the distance to the top of the cross feed (mine is 3.100) and the distance to the flat of the ways (mine is 5.005). In creating your problem, the tool holder, the compound, the dial, the cross feed , carriage, and the headstock itself could all be suspect. You should be able to narrow the field with a few measurements.

Bob
Thanks for the information.
Regards
Jojo

I think the author of this thread needs to clarify the problem. And the quote that you retrieved was just part of the descriptive problem. The sentence before in #6 says that the factory 4 way tool holder works/is the correct size.

I once did a fun thing in College. Had to write down “how to fold a paper air plane up from a piece of paper”. I then passed the instructions over to the person next to me. I also received instructions from the other side of me. We all followed the instructions verbatim. No one in the classroom made a perfect paper airplane from the instruction given! Conclusion, I can’t write and no one in that room could either…Good Luck, Dave.

The problem is the machine does not allow the use of a 1/2" cutting tool with the supplied tool holder or any other tool holder because the compound is too high. It is 1/16 inches to high. Is that clear enough? The compound is too high and no tool holder will work correctly with this lathe because they sit on the compound.

I posted this information to inform others of the issue with the lathe so if they desired they could check there lathe to see If they had the issue. I normally do not use 1/2 " cutters and just happened to by some or I may not have discovered the problem during the warranty period.

I understand the potential work arounds provided but that is not an option for me.

When I was looking to purchase a lathe I did a lot of reading and research. This site provided some very informative information. That is the purpose of my sharing of information. I do not recommend the purchase of the lathe due to the manufacturing issues experienced.

Regards
Jojo

Back