G0752 Lathe- What Is The Largest Tool U Can Use?

The problem is the machine does not allow the use of a 1/2" cutting tool with the supplied tool holder or any other tool holder because the compound is too high. It is 1/16 inches to high. Is that clear enough? The compound is too high and no tool holder will work correctly with this lathe because they sit on the compound.

I posted this information to inform others of the issue with the lathe so if they desired they could check there lathe to see If they had the issue. I normally do not use 1/2 " cutters and just happened to by some or I may not have discovered the problem during the warranty period.

I understand the potential work arounds provided but that is not an option for me.

When I was looking to purchase a lathe I did a lot of reading and research. This site provided some very informative information. That is the purpose of my sharing of information. I do not recommend the purchase of the lathe due to the manufacturing issues experienced.

Regards
Jojo
I think you are confusing cutter with shank,... this four way tool holder allows for tools with a 1/2" shank. MANY tool holders (especially negative rake) will have the insert below the top of the tool holder which would put it inline with center height.

If you are sharpening a 1/2" HSS tool blank you could easily sharpen it to have the correct height on the cutting edge and still have a 1/2" shank.

JMHO

I just bought the G0752 and purchased the tool post T10166. I'm having the same issue. Tool holder will not get low enough to center the cutting bits. I'm about to mill the bottom of the bit holders .250 to correct the problem. That's the fastest fix as far as I can see.

Yes, thats the easiest way to do it. The problem is that the machines are made for a 10mm or 12mm bit, I am not sure of the exact measurements on this model, but I ran in to that years ago. Ours are made with the needed clearance for a 1/2" Tool, plus just a slight bit more to let you go slightly below center, and also so that an AXA tool post can be used without modification. If you have a mill, you can take some off of certain parts of the compound slide as a permanent fix. (Usually not the top of the compound, but underneath where it mounts to the round degree ring) Just be careful that you still have enough room to tighten the nuts, you might have to address that too, but it can be done. Lots of ways to do it, just depends what other tools (A mill) you might have available.

Last edited:
The problem is the machine does not allow the use of a 1/2" cutting tool with the supplied tool holder or any other tool holder because the compound is too high. It is 1/16 inches to high. Is that clear enough? The compound is too high and no tool holder will work correctly with this lathe because they sit on the compound.

Regards
Jojo

Sounds like your upset with the people here trying to help you, remember they are just trying to give options that you can do to fix your situation, they didnt make the lathe.
You also say that "no tool holder will work". I think it was suggested to you that if you get the sharsXL tool holder it will give you more room. The group is just trying to give you what options there are. If you dont like them either find your own or dont worry about it. As they have said the weak point on the lathe actually isnt the tool size itself , it is how sturdy the counpond is.. You can have an inch tool but if the compound isnt sturdy then the problem will still be there.
Well, Good Luck with it.
By the way I have the G0752 also and I find that the compound is the issue too, not the size of the tool.

Ummm, Warren, this post is over 3 years old. :)

S'okay, I've done that before, too ... but I did like what you had to say!

Back