G0755 draw bar

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am using a spline wrench, and open end wrench to tighten the R8 arbor for what ever tooling I'm using. When it's time to change tooling I loosen the jam nut back it off, and use a dead blow hammer to drop the arbor. Is this correct, I'm not putting a ton of torque to tighten it. I see some of the power draw bars use up to 135 LB FT how would you get the arbor to drop?

That's what I do on my mill which is similar to yours minus the spline wrench. Some sort of hammer is they way it's normally done without a power draw bar. The hammer I use doesn't even have a handle.

How would you disengage the arbor with a power drawbar then?

That's a good question. I never really thought about it. I've only used a power draw at the local college which was basically a butterfly impact (common automotive tool). I guess the impacting while pushing down on the power draw bar mechanism rattles it free? I never paid much attention to what it was. Just looked like the impact mounted on a spring loaded bracket that slides up & down. I'm not sure if theres more to the unit.

I guess if the power drawbar pushes the shaft down the arbor will drop.

I just looked online at some commercial units. Looks like there's an air cylinder that pushes the unit down.

You gonna make one?popcorn.gif

My drawbar top nut is held in place by a roll pin I don't trust that.

From what you described mine is the same. The draw bar I made has the top nut secured by a roll pin too. But that top but is not what loosens the draw bar, the nut under it does. I never even touch my top nut. When I made it (which is the same design as my stock one) the idea was that top nut could be held by another wrench in order to hold the draw bar to loosen the bottom one. Would serve the same purpose as a spline wrench which I did not have at the time. Later on I bought a spline wrench but still rarely used it.

For a power draw bar you'd probably just make a conventional drawbar (one solid nut).

Clean the tapers and use the smallest hint of oil on the taper surfaces.
Also use a rubber hammer.

Back