G0755 draw bar

Is the plastic dead blow satisfactory? I'll raise the head and see if I can get a good look inside :encourage:

Is the plastic dead blow satisfactory?
A lead or brass head hammer is ideal. Copper too but the expense is not necessary. Although I have brass hammers I prefer to use a dead blow with a firm non marring face. You want the sharp impact of the hammer to break the taper free. IMO anything softer requires more energy striking & is wasted energy. But you don't want the hammer face too hard where the repeated strikes over time will cause damage to the draw bar.

I have been trying to figure out what weight brass hammer to get...I think I see more more greenbacks ready to take flight:dunno:

You could always make one ...

Agreed! Will be a fun easy project. A brass head hammer was the first project they gave us at the local college. I still have it too. I think making one is the best thing to do cause I don't want to be accused of making more greenbacks taking flight. :big grin:

(Well for now anyway)

No stock on hand, or a local source. Come on guys I live in BFN

I have aluminum, not sure, but only close to 1" territory

You mentioned you are using a dead blow now, what's the issue you are having with it or is it something more like not liking what you have?

Many people make a drawbar hammer so that it serves as a hammer & as well a wrench in one tool. They sell em like this too. Other people use a seperate wrench but use a hammer that will serve for both the draw bar & tapping down parts in the vise. Both are good ideas IMO. With that said, I use different hammers for the drawbar & tapping down parts as well as an individual wrench. :)

The dead blow gets used in different locations in the garage, and it's a matter of having to go get it for the mill. I do use it to tap things down in the vice too. The soft metal would have a more positive response taping the draw bar I feel.

Back