G0768 Or G4000?

armytbone

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, first real post here. Enjoying a little machining on a Sherline has led to some headaches with size issues, so I'm ready to buy a bigger bench top lathe.

I'll be turning mostly brass rod and Delrin rod, 7-8 inches in length for most work. I imagine some longer work might be necessary sometime, but only on other projects that I dream up. For now, my focus is on brass and plastic. Occasionally I'll turn steel to make reamers or other cutting tools, but again, length shouldn't exceed more than 10 inches.

A good compound slide is a must. Eventually I'll upgrade to a quick change tool post. I will have a need to chuck up pieces about 1.375" diameter to drill/ream the end.

I narrowed my choices down to the Grizzly G0768 and the G4000. Same price. What are the real differences? The G4000 is much heavier yet has similar size capacities. Accessories are comparable, as are most of the specifications. Why is the G4000 130 pounds heavier?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hey armytbone, there both comparable in size, and given the size of both there are limits, if you can live with those limits I would go for the variable speed of the G0768, that is a great feature when making different cuts on the same piece of stock. Also like that you can slow that down to a lower feed speed and rpm.

Thats my two cents, peace and grace man.

Thanks for pointing out that the 0768 is variable speed! I missed it. That would explain some of the weight difference as the 4000 has the gearbox attached. Great point! Appreciated.

On a side note, I was in the Westland area last summer. Played trombone as part of the fireworks concerts at Greenfield Village. Probably do it again this summer!

Im ten minutes from Greenfield Village, one of Henry Ford's masterpieces, people come there from all over the world. I love that place!

I have an Craftsman 12x36, and to change speeds I need to change the belts on step pulleys'. (the G4000 has a gear box witch is very nice also). Its a pain sometime, and I'm no electrician but, I believe it would take a lot of money to convert to variable speed, and its also only 110 volt so don't think I can.

Two things I would point out from that lathe is the lack of power do to the 110 volt and its feed rate is to fast, even at its slowest setting along with the speed (rpm). I guess thats the reason I would choose the G0768 over the G4000.

With that said, it gets the job done. Im saving for the PM1340GT :)

If it was my dime I would go with the G4000 It is heaver built and you can cut a wider range of threads. Also I try to stay away from variable speed machines as I would think they might be more trouble. Just my two cents.

Do the G4000. Quick change gearbox, power cross feed. In my not so humble opinion of course. :cool:

G4000. just like dave2167 says, and my opinion isn't humble, just grumpy

CHuck the grumpy old guy

G0768 = 8" x 16"
G4000 = 9 x 19" = 1" more swing 3'' longer bed length
the 4000 is a bigger and beefier lathe.
Any time you can go with a bigger lathe with longer bed go for it, you will always benefit from it.
I don't know your $$$$ or needs so its hard to suggest anything, but if finances allow it I suggest the 10" x 30" or 11x26 size because it fits in the middle of the road not to big not to little. Most true quick change gear boxes on newer import lathes start on 11 & up lathes.
Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.:encourage:

Also think about the G0602 10x22. That is a well liked model among hobbyists.

Given the choice of G0768 and G4000, I would actually go with the G0768. Big isn't always better.

1. The 8x14 and 8x16 seem to get much better reviews (historically) than the 9x19 lathe. The start of that was Bob Bertrand (Lathemaster), who first imported the 8x14 lathe about 15 years ago and gained quite a following who claimed it was more rigid than the 9x19.
2. Yes, the 8x16 has no QCGB. But the partial QCGB on the G4000 still requires a lot of gear swapping.
3. The DC motor on the G0768 will give you less vibration.
4. The speed range is much better (low speed of 50 rpm on the G0768 is a lot more friendly for threading than the 130 on the G4000).

But I would still think about the G0602 if I were you.

I was looking at the G0602 myself, then I got talked into bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and ended up with the G4003G. Looking at it on the shop floor on the pallet it certainly looks like it is more than I need...but time will tell!

Back