[4]

G0773 Lathe / Mill Combo

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
To start, if you have searched on this forum for the Grizzly G0773, as I have, the most notable comment, & I paraphrase, "Lotta money for a little machine." Yet, it doesn't fit neatly into the benchtop group because it is kinda big for that group - yet the mill portion is really small for that group as well. So, no-one admits to having 1 or all have stayed clear. Given parts replacement can take 6 months, it may well be that few are sold.

I knew I needed a mill when I went shopping. Didn't need much in size as my interest was in making parts for bass guitars. Now I am new to milling, not that I hadn't admired the trade - cause from a young age I have & do admire the trade. I just don't know the trade. But, I ventured that for a little more money, I could have my small mill & a lathe all in 1.

Here it is loading onto my bench.

20150512 06.JPG

Now back in the early 20th Century it was understood that tools of the trade here in the USA needed fine tuning once you bought them. Hand Planes are a fine example of this truth. I had no illusions of my Grizzly being good to go. First challenge was getting the compound on the cross slide to rotate 360 degrees. This is best solved by making a plug that allows the T nuts for the cross slide to glide across the access hole for the T nuts.

20151022 PLUG 001.jpg

20151022 PLUG 003.jpg

More to come & by all means, if you have this or similar please share your improvements!

mikey

Active User
Congrats on the new machine, Brockwood! Reminds me of the Emco lathes that had a milling column attached to the lathe bed in the exact configuration you have there. While limited to smaller work, I'm sure it will come in handy for the occasional light milling job.

The lathe looks like a 12X36? Has a separate saddle drive shaft so this is not your lower spec mini-lathe, and I like that the cross slide had full length T-slots so you can rear-mount tools (like a parting tool).

Looks good!

BROCKWOOD

12 x 27 so still a little short there. Feeds n speeds are in X & Y directions. I split the power feed into dedicated 20A Lathe & a separate dedicated 20A Mill for the sole purpose of power feeding under the mill as well. No wiring changes required. Just unplug the mill power from the intended source & using an extension PC power cord, plug it into it's own source. Sub panel was a necessary addition in my case anyway.

20151007 002.jpg

I really hope others will share their experiences & remedies. I thank you for your input Mikey!

mikey

Active User
Does the mill have an R8 spindle? That would sure make finding accessories a lot simpler.

My lathe is an Emco Super 11 CD, which is an 11 X 24 - small, very accurate lathe. For the work I do, the 1-3/8" spindle bore has been enough that the length hasn't mattered too much. Looks like a nice lathe - enjoy!

BROCKWOOD

All literature indicated R8 for the mill portion. So I bought some R8 tooling. But mine was made before that change & has an MT3 spindle & tailstock. At least they are the same. Only had to buy 1 drill Chuck! Accuracy is much more important than size, yours sounds like a fine machine Mikey!

[6]
[5] [7]