G0773 Lathe / Mill Combo

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
To start, if you have searched on this forum for the Grizzly G0773, as I have, the most notable comment, & I paraphrase, "Lotta money for a little machine." Yet, it doesn't fit neatly into the benchtop group because it is kinda big for that group - yet the mill portion is really small for that group as well. So, no-one admits to having 1 or all have stayed clear. Given parts replacement can take 6 months, it may well be that few are sold.

I knew I needed a mill when I went shopping. Didn't need much in size as my interest was in making parts for bass guitars. Now I am new to milling, not that I hadn't admired the trade - cause from a young age I have & do admire the trade. I just don't know the trade. But, I ventured that for a little more money, I could have my small mill & a lathe all in 1.

Here it is loading onto my bench.

20150512 06.JPG

Now back in the early 20th Century it was understood that tools of the trade here in the USA needed fine tuning once you bought them. Hand Planes are a fine example of this truth. I had no illusions of my Grizzly being good to go. First challenge was getting the compound on the cross slide to rotate 360 degrees. This is best solved by making a plug that allows the T nuts for the cross slide to glide across the access hole for the T nuts.

20151022 PLUG 001.jpg

20151022 PLUG 003.jpg

More to come & by all means, if you have this or similar please share your improvements!

Congrats on the new machine, Brockwood! Reminds me of the Emco lathes that had a milling column attached to the lathe bed in the exact configuration you have there. While limited to smaller work, I'm sure it will come in handy for the occasional light milling job.

The lathe looks like a 12X36? Has a separate saddle drive shaft so this is not your lower spec mini-lathe, and I like that the cross slide had full length T-slots so you can rear-mount tools (like a parting tool).

Looks good!

12 x 27 so still a little short there. Feeds n speeds are in X & Y directions. I split the power feed into dedicated 20A Lathe & a separate dedicated 20A Mill for the sole purpose of power feeding under the mill as well. No wiring changes required. Just unplug the mill power from the intended source & using an extension PC power cord, plug it into it's own source. Sub panel was a necessary addition in my case anyway.

20151007 002.jpg

I really hope others will share their experiences & remedies. I thank you for your input Mikey!

Does the mill have an R8 spindle? That would sure make finding accessories a lot simpler.

My lathe is an Emco Super 11 CD, which is an 11 X 24 - small, very accurate lathe. For the work I do, the 1-3/8" spindle bore has been enough that the length hasn't mattered too much. Looks like a nice lathe - enjoy!

All literature indicated R8 for the mill portion. So I bought some R8 tooling. But mine was made before that change & has an MT3 spindle & tailstock. At least they are the same. Only had to buy 1 drill Chuck! Accuracy is much more important than size, yours sounds like a fine machine Mikey!

I've added a QCTP FINALLY. Whew. I bought the BXA cause it's good for a 12" swing right?! Swing is NOT the measure to dial in the size that is right for you. Center height above the cross slide is what matters. No, get the AXA for this model G0773. Whittling down tool holders to get the center height dialed in was an experience. The mini mill portion wouldn't put a dent in them, so I set them up on my belt sander to wear them down like a river over a rock - but only while I was present & near the switch. Yes, safety can add a million years to a million year project.

Now I don't deny being new to machining & relish the advise of those that know. You might've even seen the thread on whittling down QCTP tool holders yourself. I'll sum it up for those that haven't: Get a 4 jaw chuck for your lathe, chuck up a tool holder center as near center can be without too much fuss & starting from the center it is possible to cut it down while feeding outwards. I had all ready measured how much to remove. It went surprisingly quick - especially compared to the million years my own erosion plan would take. Doing the best I could, I do still have to admit that facing them on the lathe - as a compromise - left a tit in the middle of the face. The little tit came off quickly on the belt sander.

Another thing I finally checked was actual feed per revolution on the cross slide handle. The dial reads l to l = 0.001" yet, the numbers only count to 80 per rev or 0.080". Each revolution with a known good dial indicator is actually 0.100". Can't find the thread where a guy is making a new cross slide screw & nut for his Chinesium lathe. People cut him down for going to the trouble of making a 100 division dial. They essentially said that a precision dial on a imprecise screw is like lipstick on a turd. Must've seen that on another site. Anyway, you can dial in your backlash & as long as you only take your measures with feeds in 1 direction (again only 1 direction), you are not straying from your goal. I say this + a dial indicator for a good proof that you moved to the correct spot is just smart on any machine. Here's the part that I didn't like & it made me mad: You can't cut down the manufacture of a screw that is owner made unless he gave you that screw (only then could you know if it was any good). So, as delivered I must do the math conversion 0.040 on the screw is = to 0.050" or I could make a new scale to fit the dial & know it matches the dial indicator.

Finally, I'm a little more proud of my lit'l Grizzly. I chucked a 25" piece of 1.5 bar & managed an 0.035" cut the entire exposed length on auto feed!

104 4 20181204.jpg

I've never been a fan of combination items other than the Swiss Army knife and Leatherman tools. It always seems like one part breaks or becomes obsolete leaving a weird item that doesn't work, but works too well to throw away without guilt. TV / VCR, washer / dryer unit.

On the other hand I've known a lot of people who got stuff cheap because of that. It seems like every kid who grew up in the 1970s was gifted a stereo / turn table / 8 track player from an older sibling, aunt / uncle etc when 8 tracks went out of style. Usually got it with one 8 track cartridge, Iron Butterfly or the Bee Gees seemed popular.

For a time my dad had one of those big console TVs with a stereo and turn table. The TV didn't work so he used it as a stereo and had a TV / VCR on top, the VCR part didn't work so he had a VCR next to the TV / (broken) VCR. The only thing he actually bought was the VCR, the rest he got for free.

Anyway, I think that is why you see some disdain for mill / driils and combo lathe / mills. They sell enough of these that you have quite a few options to choose from, so they obviously fill the needs for some, such as yourself. If it works for you that is all that matters. The mini-lathe / mills get much of the same, it is hard for some with a 1 ton lathe to understand how anybody could be satisfied with a lathe that a child can pick up and carry.

If you were able to figure out which lathe and mill are closest to those used on your lathe / mill you might have better luck getting answers it you treated them as if they individual machines except when it involves the fact that they are joined at the hip.

I give you credit for ingenuity and determination downsizing your QCTP, but wouldn't it have been easier to return it and order the AXA size?

Is this the thread you were asking about? He is replacing the lead screw on his 9x20 lathe.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/9-x-20-half-nut-problem.74021/

Thank you Aaron. Savarins 9x20. That's it. Still learning my way around.

Though I agree that the swap to the AXA size would have been the most prudent solution to my fitment challenge. I have a large lathe in my future & want to keep the tool holders interchangeable.

Ah, the combo packages for so many things right up through the middle 80s really. I have a Zenith portable radio / phonograph from the 30s. Must weigh 25 pounds & plays 78s. I have a huge RCA Stereo Console from the 60s that is made of real furniture grade wood that still works great too. Good idea on concentrating on either the mill or lathe for ideas from others with similar machines!

Last edited:
Ok, I can see how it could be useful to have both lathes use the same size tool holders.

Back