G0773 Lathe / Mill Combo

Got the motor out. Quite the physical therapy for recovering from back surgery. New switch needs new cams. Just a little each day!

IMG_20190102_001617534.jpg

Had to modify a couple of cams to get the switch to work as needed & added return springs. Good positive feel going on in either direction + snap action off from both forward & reverse. The other stock switch was Lathe - Off - Mill. I want Off - Lathe - Lathe & Aux. So I put together another switch. For now the Emergency Off is all that will be left of the stock controls.

IMG_20190105_222442899.jpg

Time to make mounts & wire this up!

Motor leads upgraded & mount studs installed. Getting there!

IMG_20190106_192601988.jpg

Had to modify a couple of cams to get the switch to work as needed & added return springs. Good positive feel going on in either direction + snap action off from both forward & reverse. The other stock switch was Lathe - Off - Mill. I want Off - Lathe - Lathe & Aux. So I put together another switch. For now the Emergency Off is all that will be left of the stock controls.

View attachment 284215

Time to make mounts & wire this up!

Did you buy or build a new switch?

I'm ok with mechanical stuff, but really not a fan of wiring and electrical work. Too much like black magic for me. :)

Just old retired switches I had laying around. Built to last forever. Company wanted new tech, so I held on to these. Had to make cams to fit them to this purpose. So long as your switches are rated for the machine you have, just change out as needed with the same switch. My Grizzly needs better than it was built with, so here we are. Dayton makes a fine drum switch for a motor. But I prefer seeing what I can do with what I have laying around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
Looks like my switches could fit up front where the original switches were. But, I have a better plan. I return to my job tomorrow, so this will have to wait.

IMG_20190106_220158550.jpg

Reactions: Z2V
I wanted to mount the switches out back & run handle extensions through to the front. This would require making couplings & some sort of bushing out front to support them. Either way, I needed & ordered a sheet of aluminum. As built the 2nd switch maintains lathe power while switching the auxiliary on & off. Well, parts for 3 bank switches, such as shafts & housings, I have. So modify parts for the 2 bank or add the 3rd bank? I've decided the added bank will maintain power to the Aux while switching the Lathe off. So it's back to cam design. Here is 1 of my renderings as I began to figure the timing of each cam. Despite best efforts to look, there are neither Edelbrock or Iskenderian in my DNA. I'll get this sorted before my aluminum arrives.

DIAGRAM GE SWITCH CAMS 07-2sm.jpg

Well, I left the power switch I had dialed in off to the side & started assembling a new one with 3 banks. I set the limit to 4 positions, stacked the 1st 2 banks & had everything I needed. That is OFF - LATHE - LATHE + AUX - AUX. The 3rd bank became the + ??? to the AUX. It's a mystery position that will remain unused - for future needs.

Aluminum for the faceplate came in & I've marked it for cuts & bends. Just not up to it right now. So I made a label for 1 of the switch covers.

SWITCH PLATE GE 00c.jpg

At left is a cover that had whiteout labels on it. It didn't clean up as well as I had hoped. Middle is with my new label installed. Right is for the F / R switch. In it's original use, the handle would return to the center position after TRIP or CLOSE were selected - but the target in the window would remain RED for CLOSE or GREEN for TRIP. My handle will stay in the selected position & when it is turned off (straight up) the last direction used remains in the window.

It's really down to jig sawing, bending, drilling & wiring. So glad I can walk again. Just have regain my strength slowly.

Just have to regain my strength slowly. Sorry, I couldn't find the edit button to fix that sentence. So my task is to make a front cover to house the switches. I went with 6061 aluminum & then remembered that I've never bent it brfore. I cut a slice of it wide enough to become the sides & experimented with it. More to come.

.2019012101.jpg

I'll leave it at this for now: Bending 6061 Al has it's own set of challenges.......................

I did bend the 6061 & thought it came out terrible. Here is the surround for the front cover that will not be used.

I decided to go with 10 gauge wire just for the front to back harness with a terminal block on each end. Had to modify a 12 term block down to 8. I'm working with old stock that's been laying around for years. When is the last time you saw a modular terminal block?! I plan to use 12 gauge hinge wire for the rest (as seen coming out of the motor).

Sure looks clean back here! A plug was added for the Aux. Supplemental, really, since the computer style connector remains.

Getting there & really ready to get back to making parts for the B&S 2 dividing head.

Back