[4]

G0836 LMS5500 owners thread

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

greenail

Swarf
Registered
wondering if starting a thread here or in the seig form makes more sense since the G0836 is the same as the seig x2.7 and very close to the sx2.7/LMS 5500

A few topics I want to cover

1. my spindle lock design
2. issues with X gib lock and fixes (i made a new knob)
3. issues with vibration and the quill lock

I'll start with #3. Oddly when I lock the quill i get crazy vibration when trying to cut more than 0.2mm steel. Unlocking the quill makes the machine run great but the cutter can pull the quill down and I have to keep a close eye on the quill DRO. Anyone else experience this?

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Something sounds wrong there- is there vibration with the spindle turning even before cutting? Or only when cutting? Check for runout in the spindle and also the drive pulleys and motor too. Is your cutter/endmill sharp?
Also check the table gibs are not excessively loose
mark

greenail

Swarf
Registered
Something sounds wrong there- is there vibration with the spindle turning even before cutting? Or only when cutting? Check for runout in the spindle and also the drive pulleys and motor too. Is your cutter/endmill sharp?
Also check the table gibs are not excessively loose
mark
yup it is strange. runout on spindle seems good. pulleys seem ok. endmill wouldn't cut good if it wasn't sharpt. gibs are good.

should I make a video?

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So is the vibration only when cutting? Mini mills are not able to cut large amounts of steel quickly and the machine will struggle a bit
Yes, a video with sound would certainly help- what speeds and feeds are you using? Lubricant/coolant?

greenail

Swarf
Registered
strong vibration when the quill lock is engage and I cut more than .2mm (steel). Not cutting it sounds fine. I also noticed quite a lot of grey grease on the right hand side of the quill. I've stopped using the quil lock and was milling cast iron a few days ago with .5mm cuts and it sounded good and cut good.

[6]
[5] [7]