G1007 Problem With X Leade Screw

epj

Registered
Registered
The leade screw turns, both under power and manually. Table does not move. What am I looking at?

Either the nut is stripped or has come lose from the table. Is this new to you or have you had it for awhile?

The mill is a one owner, about three years old,

Look and see if the nut is moving with the lead screw. If so, it may have come loose from a bracket or the nut might be a bushing in the bracket that has come loose. If the screw is turning and the nut is not advancing then the threads are stripped out.

Edit: Looking at the parts list, the nut is one piece and mounts to the center of the saddle.

Last edited:
The nut is retained in a round housing that is held in place by bolts thru the Y axis table. It looks to me like I can unbolt the two bearing housings at each end of the X table and the whole table should come off. I'll need to first remove the vise, the power feed, and disconnect the DRO. Does this sound reasonable? Any idea how much the roughly 8X32 table would weigh? The vise weighs about 80 lb., and it's about all I can do to lift it.

I don't know how thick your table is, but be very careful. Based loosely on my experience with my mills I'd say it's probably close to 100 lbs. Just a guess though. :)

Edit: After finding your mill online and seeing the table it may not be as heavy as I thought, but it will probably be in the same range as your vise.

I've got everything loose now except the vise. I have a guy that's going to come help me Monday, and we will first remove the vise and then the table. I suspect the table weighs close to 100 lb. but pretty easy for two to move. I'm going to unhook the wires from the DRO and leave the scale in place after I take the slide mechanism loose of course. I dunno, I may just take the scale out of the way to prevent possible damage.
Now that I have the power feed out of the way and can look under the table, there is no question that the leade nut is toast. I'm hoping the screw is ok.
Now, do I call Grizzly about a replacement, go somewhere like
McMaster Carr and try to match the dimensions? If so, do I go back with iron or steel, or look for a brass or bronze replacement?

Last edited:
Just order it from Grizzly for the least frustration. They have their parts online.

Steve Shannon

:+1: on the suggestion to call Grizzly. They'll take care of you.

Back