G4003g Baldor Motor Install

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I'm replacing the factory G4003G motor with a made in USA Baldor motor and figured I would document the process and maybe save others some time and head scratching.

This is a 2hp Baldor 1 phase extra high torque 'Farm Duty' motor. $324 from my local 1 man motor shop, it was in stock at our local Baldor warehouse. On-line prices for this were all over the map from $295 to over $1,000. With shipping though buying this local was the least expensive.

Farm duty motors get an epoxy paint and are better sealed for harsh farm environments. 7/8 shaft diameter shaft, be advised there are a bunch of these for sale with 5/8 inch shafts be careful when ordering. The frame is 56HZ unlike the factory 90L frame motor. Its almost a bolt right on fit though, I'll have to carve about a 1/4 moon of space in the two left side motor mount holes on the motor and it will bolt right on.

Here it is test fitted, I had to take measures with the chip pan for clearance. One goal was not to turn this into an overly complicated engineering project I just wanted to bolt this on.

I have about 3/4 inch total adjustment up/down, maybe a smidge more, its a tight fit like the factory motor which is about the same diameter.

So one idea I had to avoid trimming the ship pan was to use about a 2 inch spacer between the motor and the factory motor mount, this would move the electrical box to the rear of the chip pan edge. But that also hangs this heavy beast a further 2 inches out away from the lathe. This also creates clearance issues with the aluminum belt cover there's actually not a lot of wiggle room I probably would have had to cut away some of the cover, and use longer belts.

Here you have a standard 2 groove pulley, the center rib between the two grooves is about .150 wide.

Here you have a non standard Grizzly pulley, the center rib is about .300 wide (face palm). It will run fine with 1 belt but to make some lemonade I like the idea of converting to a serpentine, the new Baldor motor gives me a standard size shaft vs the odd metric motor shaft so maybe I can make a replacement for this pulley and switch to a serpentine belt.

Here's a close up of the motor plate info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Coolidge, why not go 3 phase with a VFD and get the additional control benefits and smoother operation?

Nice. I always try to buy local if the price is close. Mike

Nice Coolidge, why not go 3 phase with a VFD and get the additional control benefits and smoother operation?

I plan to upgrade to a larger heavier lathe so I don't want invest anymore than I have to in this lathe. I believe the factory motor is the source of the horrible finish surface so basically I'm just fixing the lathe here to ready for sale.

Very nice, I am jealous. Baldor makes a nice motor.

I plan to upgrade to a larger heavier lathe so I don't want invest anymore than I have to in this lathe. I believe the factory motor is the source of the horrible finish surface so basically I'm just fixing the lathe here to ready for sale.
You and Bill sure keep it exciting with new equipment coming in to your shops!

Subscribed. Interested to see if this cures your finish issue from the harmonics you described.

Mike.

ohh, its color even matches your lathe!

Just run it with one belt. One v-belt can handle all the power that the motor can put out. Two is just asking for more vibration.

Serpentine belt would be nice, otoh.

I see the G4003G has the same cast motor bracket that the G0709 has; looks like the mold was crafted by a 5 yo with playdoh. Nothing precision about that.

Well the project stalled out this evening as Lowes/Home Depot no longer carry 300 volt 12/4 flex cord. Lowes has hundreds of feet of useless thick as a garden hose 600 volt in stock though /sarcasm. I'll have to pick some up at an electrical supply tomorrow.

Back