G4003g Baldor Motor Install

Update: I completed the motor install last night, using these isolation mounts I ordered from McMasterCarr. Jim I told you that ugly aluminum conduit would get to me, I replaced it with this power cord. lol

The main thing to note with this motor swap is the wiring. The Grizzly motor only uses 3 wires from the electrical cabinet, U1, U2, and Z1. U1 and U2 are your two 220vac hots (Line 1 and Line 2) they go to terminal 1 and 4 in the motor which is industry standard and this does not change whether in Forward or Reverse. Z 1 on the other hand alternates between Line 1 and Line 2, with Line 1 when in Forward and Line 2 when in Reverse, they flip flop these using the Forward and Reverse contactors in the electrical cabinet. How Grizzly gets this to work with only 3 wires seems weird, they must use a relay in the motor itself, and its odd that they switch between Line 1 and Line 2 on Z1 but it works.

For the Baldor motor I needed 5 wires plus a ground wire for 6 total. U1, U2, Z1, Z2 and I had to run a wire from the motor junction of 2,3 (J Brown wire) out to the electrical cabinet, and connect it to the top of Z2 on the Forward contactor, and to the top of Z1 on the Reverse contactor. Unlike the Grizzly motor wiring for the Baldor motor Z1 and Z2 do NOT switch between Line 1 and Line 2, they switch between Line 1 and J the brown wire from the motor.

So here's the connections...

Forward - Contactor

U1 (Line 1) to motor terminal 1
U2 (Line 2) to motor terminal 4
Z1 (Line 1) to motor terminal 8
Z2 (2,3 J Brown wire from motor to Forward contactor 1 Z2, through the contactor and back out to motor terminal 5

Reverse - Contactor

U1 (Line 1) to motor terminal 1
U2 (Line 2) to motor terminal 4
Z1 (2,3 J Brown wire from motor to top of Reverse contactor 2 Z1, through the contactor and back out to motor terminal 8
Z2 (Line 1) to motor terminal 5

Last edited by a moderator:
coolidge's last visit was 2017.... :(

Back