G4003g collets

Todd Adams

Registered
Registered
What will I need with this lathe to be able to use collets in the headstock. It comes with a mt3 x mt5 spindle adapter. Is that it? This is my first lathe
Thanks

you should be able to find a collet adapter to fit the #5 MT spindle and takes 5C collets.

You have a variety of options:
You can get a 5C-MT5 adapter (with or without quick change attachment)
You can get a 5C or even ER-40 collet chuck that goes in the D1-5 spindle head

I would go with 5C collets over ER-40, not only are 5C collets available in round, but also square, hexagon, and plain collets that can be bored or milled to fit custom sizes.

Unless you know you will be using collets alot, I would start with a set of 5C collet blocks, and collets. The blocks allow you to use them in the lathe chuck, or in a mill vise. A lot less costly then a collet system made for the lathe, and you can always take the next step with a collet chuck down the road if you need.

If you still want a collet system, I think you will have better luck searching for a D1-5 collet chuck, rather then a xx collet to 5MT adapter, and the right length of collet draw tubing, and handle.

There's writeups and vids about making a 5c drawbar for the 4003g. I used a Harding, iirc, bar for mine. I just used a few washers because the bar was just a little long. Search around. You need the 5c adapter from Grizzly and a drawbar and you'll be gtg. Better runout than using collet chuck.

Back