G4003G: Does the crossfeed graduated dial have 1 or 2 ball-bearings for the "friction" action?

keeena

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I pulled apart the cross-feed handle and graduated dial and the friction device (spring & ball bearing) shot out. I want to know if there is supposed to be 1 or 2 of these installed. The handle has bores for 2 springs, but I only found 1 spring/ball bearing on the floor. The Grizzly schematic isn't definitive because they typically only show 1 item if there are multiples.

The parts diagram is usually accompanied by a parts list. The parts list will also show how many of each part are required.

Hi Toz - that's not what I see in the parts lists and diagrams. For instance, take a look at the compound rest diagram & part list (pages 96/97). Item 619 is a bolt which holds the handwheel bracket to the compound rest (the slide). There's most definitely 2 of these, but only 1 bolt shown in the diagram and nothing in the P/L stating that 2 of these are used.

G4003G Parts List

Mine only had 1 ball and spring when I did the same as you.
I had to sweep the shop floor 7 times before the ball and spring were both found.

In any event, when I put mine back together, I put as much grease in there as possible, and this helps in the feel department when adjusting the dials.

Oops, sorry keeena, was going by the manual for my lathe.
Wish I could be more help.

No apologies needed Toz! :) Grateful for any help.

Mitch - I was shocked to find the ball bearing too. My garage is a mess; that's why I was curious if there was another one launched into a dark corner never to be found again.

Kenna,

In my case, I don't KNOW that there were NOT 2 springs and 2 balls, all I found after 7 sweeping sessions was 1 of each.

Back