G4003g Owners, Would Like To Compare Backlash

HitFactor

Registered
Registered
I setup my G4003G a few weeks ago. This was an upgrade from a G0602 I bought last spring. I have to say I'm really impressed. I thought the G0602 was pretty good, but the G4003G is even better.

I have everything cleaned and adjusted. Installed a DRO PROS EL700 3 axis on it. BTW, super support from these guys.

Here are my questions.

There is .018 backlash on the carriage handwheel. It's all inside the apron. How much backlash do other G4003G show?

If this isn't normal, can you point me at where the problem might be?

I took out the main bolts in hopes of getting a look inside the apron gearbox. Well it wasn't that simple so I buttoned it back up. Does anyone know the steps to get in there? An overview is OK, I'm trying to figure out how much time I need to set aside.

I have two lathes, an 11" and a 15". Both are respectable machines. Both have 0.03" backlash on the carriage hand wheel - I don't see it as a problem. Unless you can get it to zero, then you'll have to manage backlash - same as the cross and compound screws - managing backlash is part of machining.

The 11" lathe (a Smart & Brown 1024) had a lot more - about 0.1" when I got the machine. I ended up taking the entire apron apart to address several issues. This machine has quite a complicated apron, I learned a lot. The carriage traverse is a pinion engaging a rack. The bushing supporting the pinion was worn, as was the pinion shaft - I made replacements for both components. I think I got a good result.

The backlash on your machine is much less than mine. I'd say use the machine as is. It is probably fine.

It does not matter whether you have .018" or .002" of backlash, you still have to deal with it. Yes, it is better to have it less, but not better by much. I do not use the handwheel dial much on my Kent USA (Chinese!) KLS-1340A lathe. The graduations and distance per revolution are pretty ugly to keep track of. I use a magnetic back indicator stuck to the ways instead to keep track of travel. When the backlash might interfere with a rigid cut, I lock the carriage. End of problems. My lathe, which is like new, has .020" backlash in the carriage handwheel. I do not believe there is any simple way to reduce the backlash there. Just deal with it by always moving in the same direction to your mark and making sure the backlash is out in that direction. Works for me and for lots of other machinists. Backlash is just a fact of life...

I have the G4003G lathe and my carriage backlash is ~.027". No worries.

My G4003G has .018 backlash, its meaningless since I have an EL400 DRO installed and feed against the backlash. The carriage dial scale of .010 per graduation makes it more meaningless as does the course 'thread' of the feed mechanism e.g. its not exactly designed for precision feeding on Z. With the DRO I can turn to +- .0003 on Z.

Now my headstock is leaking oil onto the motor that is annoying. I also have the dreaded motor harmonic pattern showing up on turning and facing cuts like some other G4003G owners have reported. I ordered a made in the USA 2hp Baldor motor to replace it today, should be in Tuesday.

Now my headstock is leaking oil onto the motor that is annoying. I also have the dreaded motor harmonic pattern showing up on turning and facing cuts like some other G4003G owners have reported. I ordered a made in the USA 2hp Baldor motor to replace it today, should be in Tuesday.

Would love to see some pics of the motor and your impressions of it after it is in.

I haven't even uncreated my G4003G yet but I am dreading the motor already.

Baldor makes a great motor

Last edited:
Abrace sure I'll posts some pics. I used to live near Hampton, NH small world. God I could rip into some lobster or seafood chowdah right now (stomach grumbles)

Should have some decent seafood in Washington, I hope.

Hard to beat lobster though...no doubt. I live near Manchester, probably 35-40 minutes from Hampton.

Small world.

I would have gone with a 3 phase plus a full VFD conversion but I'll be selling the G4003G when I find a 1440 Logan 6565. It could be a couple years that Logan is a rare bird, the G4003G will meet my needs in the meantime. I'm sure the new owner will appreciate the Baldor motor upgrade.

Back