[4]

G4003G stand question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MKeen

Registered
Just received my G4003G lathe and have a simple stand question. I noticed that inside the doors the floor of the stand has a 1 inch gap which allows stuff to fall through. (Like small change gears..ask me how I know). Besides probing around using a magnetic pickup is there an easy way to retrieve anything that slipped through the floor?

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Would anything falling through the gap just land on the floor? When something rolls under my lathe cabinets I fish it out with a stick.

MKeen

Registered
Would anything falling through the gap just land on the floor? When something rolls under my lathe cabinets I fish it out with a stick.
Normally yes, but in the case of these stands there is no gap. Bottom of the stand is one piece solid plate with 4 3/4" holes for mounting

Tozguy

Active User
Then the part is sitting on the solid plate bottom?

dlane

Active User
Duck /gorilla tape the holes shut

MKeen

Registered
Then the part is sitting on the solid plate bottom?
Yes I believe the part is sitting on top of the stands bottom plate. I will most use a magnetic probe to retrieve it. Then duct tape it closed.

Mitch Alsup

Registered
The cabinets that came on my G4003G lathe have no way for stuff on the inside to get to the outside except through the open door.

I put my cabinets on on machine feet and adjusted each so it holds equal torque while the level indicates lathe is level.

jocat54

Active User
Cut a piece of plywood to fit on the shelf snug--no gaps.
Yeah I know wood on a metal lathe:)

MKeen

Registered
Looking at this further. It seems the stand under the headstock only has about 1/2" gap really to small for anything to fall in. however the stand at the tail end someone goofed there is almost a 2" gap, something to consider when storing tolls there. On a good note finally got the lathe leveled. I have about .00015 taper per 12".

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
The cabinets have changed at least once over the years. I have seen some that are cast iron, and others that are welded steel.

[6]
[5] [7]