G4003G tail stock drill chuck

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Why is it that I can't use the first 1 3/8" of my tail stock with my chuck on it????

How can I get the use of the first 1 3/8" ?

Also the chuck they give with it seems like a pos what is everyone using?

Because the tang on the MT chuck adapter is contacting the feed screw in the tailstock. You could remove the tang, but be careful about how much you cut off because this is how you remove the adapter from the tailstock. I have mine modified to contact the feed screw at about 1/4 inch from full retract. I should note here that the tang also keeps the adapter from rotating in the tailstock. But I've not had a problem.

My preference is a Jacobs chuck and adapter, there are also some good import chucks available but I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
Because the tang on the MT chuck adapter is contacting the feed screw in the tailstock. You could remove the tang, but be careful about how much you cut off because this is how you remove the adapter from the tailstock. I have mine modified to contact the feed screw at about 1/4 inch from full retract.

My preference is a Jacobs chuck and adapter, there are also some good import chucks available but I have no experience with them.

There is no tang on this chuck, Jim. Just a MT that mates to the MT taper in the tailstock. I guess one could shorten the male MT on the spindle to achieve a little more tailstock retraction though I've never really thought about it since I'm yet to run into a situation where it's been an issue.

It's not really an issue...

But grizz says its most accurate from 0 - 2". So basically I only have 1" of accuracy so to speak

There is no tang on this chuck, Jim. Just a MT that mates to the MT taper in the tailstock. I guess one could shorten the male MT on the spindle to achieve a little more tailstock retraction though I've never really thought about it since I'm yet to run into a situation where it's been an issue.

OK, thank you. I stand corrected.

That's what I did, I shortened my drill chuck arbor so that it ejects just before the ram is fully retracted, ejects just before 0 so I get thefull stroke for drilling. I only did this with my drill chuck as the other accessories ddon't matter.

Not that it matters but I use a 5/8" Bison keyless chuck most of the time & I also have a Jacobs 14N BB chuck on the lathe. I never even used the chucks that came with my lathe & mill. I prefer to use a good quality chuck.

That's what I did, I shortened my drill chuck arbor so that it ejects just before the ram is fully retracted, ejects just before 0 so I get thefull stroke for drilling. I only did this with my drill chuck as the other accessories ddon't matter.

Not that it matters but I use a 5/8" Bison keyless chuck most of the time & I also have a Jacobs 14N BB chuck on the lathe. I never even used the chucks that came with my lathe & mill. I prefer to use a good quality chuck.

Could u elaborate on what method u used to shorten?

I measured how much I wanted to shorten it then machined it to length on the lathe. In my case I had a hardened tang which I cut off in tbe bandsaw first, then machined to length (much before the tang). Looks funny cause it's shorter than most arbors but it does the job.

I did the same thing. It ejects just before being fully retracted. Seemed like a waste of having a 4" tailstock stroke if 1.5" of it is eaten up just keeping the drill chuck engaged in the taper.

Mike.

another tip is to shorten the arbor, then drill and tap a hole in the end. You can then use a bolt as a jack screw to adjust the point at which the arbor ejects. Depends on how hard the arbor is of course.

Back