G4003G tooling

I got my 5/8 tool holders in the mail today and it turns out they do fit fine. I just thought it was odd that there was still about 1/8" on the QCTP dovetail below the toolholder but the lock nut was barely on the threads. I went ahead and uploaded some pictures I took a few days ago; maybe they will help someone out in the future.
20170808_012741.jpg 20170808_012911.jpg 20170808_012929.jpg

The problem with using a tool post with the holder all the way down to the compound, or nearly so, is that chips collecting there can keep the tool holder from reaching the proper height at installation unless the chips are carefully removed before installing the tool holder. Not a real problem, just a bit fussy and something to be aware of.

I bought one of these as I was already ordering something from Acer Euro Trade.
It is horrible.
Maybe someone can give me some tips. Maybe I got what I paid for ($20)?

First, I don't have any knowledge of these tools, but ....... :eagerness:.
I've read that some of the import insert lathe tools suffer from poor inserts. They say to change out the import inserts for quality inserts (Sandvik, Kennametal, Iscar, etc.) and get an amazing quality improvement. So, if the fit, finish and overall quality of the tools seems pretty fair you might test one with a higher rated insert.
Please let us know what happens.

Some of the import insert tool holders are also poorly machined and use substandard materials. Some are just fine. The pockets for the inserts need to have a good fit and support or they will chatter, flex, and break. The screw holes also have to be well centered and nicely tapped to hold the insert firmly and correctly in place. Quickly made tools using poor materials along with a lack of quality control and quality assurance means that poor quality tools can and do go out the door. A good quality used insert tool holder in decent condition can be a good deal and often have lower prices than new imports. On eBay, unable to be closely inspected for damage and wear, I refuse to roll the dice, and just wait for something local I can put my hands and eyes on...

Last edited:
Are Sumitomo considered quality inserts?

Bob Korves - You are lucky (in that respect) to live in a place where used tooling is available locally. Many (most?) of us would be waiting years to find a good used tool locally. So, we must do whatever we can online or buy new.

For indexable inserts, stay away from the carbide C grades, those are generic inserts, don't matter what "brand names" they call them. You get what you pay for.

I personally usually stay away from import tool holders (indexable) also unless it's something I will rarely & lightly use.

Are Sumitomo considered quality inserts?

Yes

There are a number of reasons to go with better quality indexable insert holders, I believe I mentioned previously they usually have a replaceable insert seat, a anchor pin/replaceable threaded sleeve, screws, etc. The hardware is much better. This means if something breaks, you usually do not loose the whole holder, Also these parts are interchangeable so the same CCMT size tool holder will often have the same parts be it left, right or center cut. That way, I can rob parts from one I rarely use for another if needed, as opposed to having a lot of oddball holders.. Speaking to a few other people that have the cheap import holders, and the switched to more name brand holders (and inserts), they have noticed a difference. You also may select holders in higher quality holders for the ones you use a lot, and less expensive for those used less frequently. So in my case my daily users are the CCMT Kennametal and Seco WNMG, less frequent I may use something like a TMX or what I consider a mid quality holder. A good holder, especially with replaceable parts, may be the last holder you buy.

There are good inserts, and there are alo a lot of bad ones. There also can be fakes. I have tried a few odd name/no name ones, at least for me they just do not last and break quickly. On something like the CCMT in a 32.5X size which firs 5/8" holders, I have found that the Kennametal CCMT09T304-SM IC907 (32.51) is a great all around insert it works in many materials and holds up well. I have purchased from both of these vendors, they appear to be the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCAR-CCMT3...-SM-IC907-Carbird-Inserts-10pcs-/192270850902
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-inserts-CCMT-09T304-SM-IC907-ISCAR-CCMT-3-1-SM-IC907-/292035875576

If youre budget is really limited, this vendor seems to sell a number of decent quality holders/inserts at very reasonable prices. At hese prices, I would not buy used online, they are often pretty mangled, but I will buy something new if the price is right.
http://www.latheinserts.com/5-8-SHANK-LATHE-TOOLING_c164.htm

On inserts, there are so many types coatings, breakers, etc. it pays to read up and find what works for you and stick with it. I did a lot of research, and have a fair understanding, but you can quickly get lost in the zillion types of inserts out there. I look at the profile, coating, and indicated materials it is indicated along with the type of cut.

Here's a video, if you have time, to watch where they test and show the capabilities of carbide inserts on a few metals. Watch the positive rake inserts hog material and the machine doesn't slow as much as negative.

Back