G9249 (12x37) Lathe Restoration

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have mentioned more than once that I currently don't have a shop. My tools are in storage as is my Grizzly lathe. But with reading all the posts here and my retirement not too far into the future, I have begun to clean up my lathe, adjusting as I go and will complete my in storage work with the installation of my DRO.
So I thought I would share my slow progress as I have to drive about 18 miles to get to the storage and have a lot of other items on my plate. But when done, this will be one less thing I have to do when we get our retirement home and shop.

So here is the what I am starting with. She isn't in bad condition but a little rusty and in serious need of maintenance.

She isn't too bad from a distance.
Lathe 1.jpg

A shot looking at the carriage and tool post. I have installed my AXA Piston Quick Change Tool Post.
Lathe 2.jpg

And finally a shot down the ways. The ways don't look bad but the carriage and chuck need some care. I found no dings, dents or other damage to the ways.
Lathe 3.jpg

I began my work by removing all the surface rust on the carriage and slides. I disassembled everything down to the carriage, removing the slides. Mostly to make it easier to clean up and to see what parts I may need if any. As it turns out, I need a couple of screws for the cross slide gib, the ones have been bent by someone not backing the rear screw off before trying to tighten the front one. Will order same for the compound as well. Gibs looked in good condition.

Used 3M Scotch Bright pads and WD40 to clean up all the surfaces. By the time I was done and put the cross slides back together, my hands were hurting pretty good. Only in the last year I have started to feel what I think is the start of Arthritis in my right hand fingers. Not too bad yet but after scrubbing on these parts, I can feel it. Nothing that 800mg Motrin and a shot of Stoly won't cure.

Here is an image of the carriage. I think it came out pretty good.
Lathe 4.jpg
Lathe 5.jpg
Lathe 6.jpg

I have grown over time to dislike 3 Jaw Scroll Chucks and the more I looked at the one on the lathe against my much better looking carriage, I just couldn't stand it any longer. So off with the 3 jaw and on with my 4 jaw. I had a little clean up to do on the chuck but it was good to get it installed and looks so much better.

I know that there is still plenty of clean up that I have to do. I am doing a little bit at a time. So far I have spent about 6 hours over two days on it. I have a list of parts that I want to replace. Once I get all the parts in, I plan to disassemble the carriage again, install the new parts and will have my test indicator to ensure that everything is right and tight when I put it back together. This will include checking the run out on the chuck and ensure it is true.

As you can see by the pictures, it looks better but there is still some cleaning to do. I have no air or power in the storage unit, so can't use my 90 degree die grinder with the 3M pads to make it easier to clean so everything is by hand.

I am going to the local industrial supply house tomorrow to get the gear oil and the way oil so I can change, flush and replace the oil in the gear boxes.

Here is the 4 Jaw installed.
Lathe 7.jpg
Lathe 8.jpg

The three jaw will clean up nice too jus plug away at it like you are with the rest it'll git done..................... :grin:

The three jaw will clean up nice too jus plug away at it like you are with the rest it'll git done..................... :grin:

Your right about that. There are times when a 3 Jaw Scroll Chuck come in handy. Still, in the past I have used a 4 Jaw Independent Chuck probably 80% of the time. I found that the more I used it, the faster I got with it and the more comfort I had.

When I did my apprentice ship I was onlly allowed to use a three jaw for a production run.
Practice does make you fast indeed !!

I still have a lot of work to do before I could say this lathe is ready for service. But I am enjoying the work. Just wish I had power to work on her.
I need to pick up some kerosene to do some cleaning on her. I have seen people on Youtube flush out their gear boxes with Kerosene to get all the old debris and sediment out during an oil change. But I am concerned about some of it being left behind in pockets that I cannot get out which could end up diluting the new oil.
Don't have the room in the storage unit to tear it down and also don't have a parts cleaning tank that I can use there. They have been pretty good about allowing me to do what I am as no work is to be done there. So I have to be careful not to push the work too far.

When I did my apprentice ship I was onlly allowed to use a three jaw for a production run.
Practice does make you fast indeed !!

Just saw your location, Klamaty Flats, I went to OIT there for four years way back between 1974-1978. Crazy place. Beautiful country around there.

I wouldn't worry too much about kerosene diluting the oil, If you're concerned just plan on doing another oil change soon after.

John

PC ; I was in high school at Fortuna Calif. in those years, took me a while to appreciate the high desert after
growing up in the Redwoods.......

Back