• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Gag Gift

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HighWall

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My machinist father in law passed on to me a set of Starrett micrometers, which a friend had given him. They are very old, somewhat blackened with oxidation, but no rust scale or blisters. They are quite stiff. I was thinking about starting with some penetrating oil and working with them a little bit. I'd prefer not to take them apart if it can be avoided. He thought the expression on my face was very amusing when I took them out of the box. There is a 1", 1-2" and 2-3" in the set.

extropic

Active User
Former Member
My machinist father in law passed on to me a set of Starrett micrometers, which a friend had given him. They are very old, somewhat blackened with oxidation, but no rust scale or blisters. They are quite stiff. I was thinking about starting with some penetrating oil and working with them a little bit. I'd prefer not to take them apart if it can be avoided. He thought the expression on my face was very amusing when I took them out of the box. There is a 1", 1-2" and 2-3" in the set.
I don't get it. Please elucidate; it's your thread so I guess you think it's a 'Gag Gift'. If the micrometers are neglected, but can be made serviceable, what's the gag?

Are you implying that he's a cheap SOB and should have given you a new set?

What was the expression on your face; puzzlement, joy, anger, frustration . . . ???

GK1918

Active User
Former Member
I don't get it. Please elucidate; it's your thread so I guess you think it's a 'Gag Gift'. If the micrometers are neglected, but can be made serviceable, what's the gag?

Are you implying that he's a cheap SOB and should have given you a new set?

What was the expression on your face; puzzlement, joy, anger, frustration . . . ???

I can answer that, the 'gag gift' going to an expression; He read Starrett enough to awe anybody;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

extropic

Active User
Former Member
I can answer that, the 'gag gift' going to an expression; He read Starrett enough to awe anybody;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Maybe I'm particularly dense today. Your reply didn't really clarify anything for me.

Waiting for HighWall . . .

Shadowdog500

Active User
Registered
I don't get the gag part either.

Sounds like a great set of micrometers that just need a bit of TLC.

hit them with penetrating oil then unscrew them all the way until they come apart. Then clean them, lube them,and put them back togeteher.

Chris

road

Active User
Registered
OK, I too am lost.

read everyones replies and read theM all again . still I got nothing here.....

BEULLER,,,, BEUALLER.... BUUUUYEWLER ,,,,,,, :whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag::dunno::dunno::dunno:

18w

Active User
Registered
Just a shot in the dark here. Many families give gag gifts for the holidays rather than spending gobs on gifts that are often not used or appreciated. In this case Highwall got the good end of the deal. Wonder what he gave ol Aunt Edna? :lmao:

KevinD

Active User
Registered
Just a shot in the dark here. Many families give gag gifts for the holidays rather than spending gobs on gifts that are often not used or appreciated. In this case Highwall got the good end of the deal. Wonder what he gave ol Aunt Edna? :lmao:
By jove! I think you've hit the nail on the head, 18w (well, it sounds the most plausible to me unless HighWall is one of those folks that would complain eating ice cream)

Coomba

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Maybe I'm missing the boat, but I think the gag is on the father in law??

Bill Gruby

Swarf
Former Member
Hmmmm --- There seems to be a valuable piece of information missing from the original post? I'll take "Gag Gifts" like that all day.

"Billy G"

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
Maybe this is WAY off topic but what our family does for Xmas is... we all buy one gift.
So if 50 people show up for the Xmas party we put 50 bingo numbers in a bag.
Every person gets to draw a number. The gifts are wrapped so the items can not be seen.
The person with the lowest number (1) gets to pick a gift and he has to open it for all to see.
The person with number (2) gets to take the gift away from the first person or pick another gift.
He also opens for all to see. This goes on until all numbers is drawn. A gift can move only
three times then whoever has it gets to keep it. This way everyone pretty much gets something
that he or she might want and not a lot of money was spent. Everyone tries to spend around $50
on a gift. It's fun to watch the woman fight over something everyone wants.

Please delete if the masters does not want this here...

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
KBeitz......By any chance did you happen to notice the dates the original post was made much less the last one before you replied? Nothing really wrong with reviving a long dormant thread so long as you are aware you are doing so!

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
Yep... I'm reading all... Every post... If they are still here to read I would think they
are here to comment on... right?
It's going to take me a few weeks to read everything on this forum.

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
Yes you Are Correct. Wow reading Everything??? thats a rather Large Goal and I hope that I see your comment on every single thread, good luck.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Yep... I'm reading all... Every post... If they are still here to read I would think they
are here to comment on... right?

It's going to take me a few weeks to read everything on this forum.
You are absolutely correct. :encourage: Please revive all the old threads you like. I am glad you are enjoying the forum.

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
No way I'm commenting on every thread... Some I even speed read over. Others I take my time.
When I get done reading everything I will add some post of my own...
Also as soon as I can catch up with my bills I will become a donating member.

Firstram

Registered
Registered
No way I'm commenting on every thread... Some I even speed read over. Others I take my time.
When I get done reading everything I will add some post of my own...
Also as soon as I can catch up with my bills I will become a donating member.
I'm with you. I'll lurk for quite some time before I join a forum and read heavily before I post much after I join. To avoid faux-pas, I like to learn a little about the members before I comment. It's not a problem here, obviously, because everyone is so gosh dern nice ;-)

[6]
[5] [7]