Gage Blocks

As important as jo blocks, or perhaps even more so, are pin gauges. Preferable to imports, which can be expected to rust dreadfully, would be used domestic.

I had a couple sets of blocks over the years and have since sold them . My current employment doesn't require the accuracy of tenths or millionths , and in most instances , thousanths . No dial bore gages anymore , no cylindrical grinding , jig grinding etc .. I have ground blocks and adjustable parallels when I need to use sine bars or vises . They were nice to have when needed though , and they were calibrated every 6 months .

What's a millionth or 2 in a company this size ? ( that's what I used to tell them ) :)

Last edited:
The smallest "tenths" blocks are 0.1001 through 0.1009. What is the procedure for creating a stack that is less than 1/10 of an inch?

Relative difference. Put the work/workholder on a 0.1008, set a 0.1009 next to it, adjust then remove both gage blocks. Probably easier to imagine the two blocks on either end of a sine bar.

Relative difference. Put the work/workholder on a 0.1008, set a 0.1009 next to it, adjust then remove both gage blocks. Probably easier to imagine the two blocks on either end of a sine bar.

Thanks - That's what I was thinking.

I bought an 81 piece imported set, SPS brand, grade B from Enco before they disappeared into MSC. They are more than good enough for the work I do. Only needed them for setting a sine bar, but have used them a few times now.

Was lucky to pick up an import set (more than good enough for my purpose) at a good price and I've watched the videos and played with them for some various stacks. So a question has come to mind.

The smallest "tenths" blocks are 0.1001 through 0.1009. What is the procedure for creating a stack that is less than 1/10 of an inch?

Thanks,
Do you mean 1/10 of 1/1000"?

Doing accurate stacks les than .100 thick is tricky, and you have to think outside the box. Find a way to use a reference surface tha allows you to build a stack in the .200 to .300 range, and you will find it easier. When that's not possible, I substitute a dowel pin or precision pin instead.

They exist, I have a few between .010 and .045, but they are random, not a "set."

Back