Votes: 19 41.3%
  • I don't own gage pins but I would like to have them

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I don't see them as useful

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I have two sets.
Tiny to .250 and .251-.500.
If you are a model maker and need to drill a hole in the center of a round casting, you can use a gage pin to match the od of the casting. You now have center.
You can quickly measure a gap or space a gap to a known dimension using gage pins.
On the lathe, if you want to sneak up on a dimension, you can use one.
They are handy at times.
I wish I had the .501-1.00“ set.

I'd think the need for gage pins depends on the type of parts you make. Metalworking for me is a means to make or fix all sorts of random stuff; just another hands-on skill that I wanted to have. I don't have a specific hobby (clock building, model engine building, etc) or manufacture a specific widget.

So for me: they weren't my highest priority. I picked up a full set at an auction a couple years ago only because the price was right. Certainly glad that I have them and I use them somewhat regularly.

I'd think the need for gage pins depends on the type of parts you make. Metalworking for me is a means to make or fix all sorts of random stuff; just another hands-on skill that I wanted to have. I don't have a specific hobby (clock building, model engine building, etc) or manufacture a specific widget.

So for me: they weren't my highest priority. I picked up a full set at an auction a couple years ago only because the price was right. Certainly glad that I have them and I use them somewhat regularly.
I think I use them more figuring out what I am looking at than measuring during machining. If I need to duplicate a hole I'll get a rough idea with the calipers so I know which gage pin set I need and get the measurement with the pins.

I'll use two close fitting pins in holes and measure and subtract half of each pin and you have a very accurate center to center distance.

I tend to use dowel pins for measuring dovetails so both pins are the same diameter.

They weren't available (to me, at least) during my apprenticeship, I never encountered them or a need for them. at 84, I don't see a need approaching.

Understandable. I didn't have them the first 25 years of hobby machining. Glad I do now.

I'll use two close fitting pins in holes and measure and subtract half of each pin and you have a very accurate center to center distance.
Same here. Center-to-Center is one of the most common uses in my case. Even considering that the 2 pins used will be 0.001" different (I don't have duplicate gage pin sets): still works perfectly fine for what I do.

Never thought of using them to find center between 2 holes. I struggle with that on small holes because I only have a crappy set of vernier calipers. They work fine on larger holes though.

They were useful when they were useful . :) I sold all my sets when I got into more mechanical employment , which I am now RETIRED ! Got my first SS check yesterday so I guess it makes it official , although I'll always be continuing to work somewhere to starve off boredom . :grin:

When we had our manufacturing business, I had -.0002" pins up to .750". When we liquidated the business, I sold those sets, really wish that I hadn't done that.

Back