Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I own and use gage pins regularly

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • I don't own gage pins but I would like to have them

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I don't see them as useful

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Have a couple that I purchased for special projects, but have wanted them a few times but can't see spending on a big set for the few times I have needed them.

I have a couple of sets and don't use them often, but they sure are handy when you do need them. Especially in measuring small diameter holes or as was said earlier measuring between small diameter holes.

Have a couple that I purchased for special projects, but have wanted them a few times but can't see spending on a big set for the few times I have needed them.

Mine are Shars minus zz. Accurate as hell. Not terribly expensive for the smaller sets. They get pretty expensive in the larger sizes.

I also got a couple of import sets that were affordable so price is not the issue. However, they take up a fair amount of space. Also the plastic hinge on my .250 to .499 set broke and so I have a "Tray" of gage pins instead of a case :(

I've got from .011" to .500 by .001" they are from .0002 to .0000 under.
By using two pins I can measure to .999" holes.
They are the only way I have of measuring small holes.
Great when trying to bore for a very close fit or even a press fit.
Glad I got them. Also found out how far off drill bits are for making holes.

They weren't available (to me, at least) during my apprenticeship, I never encountered them or a need for them. at 84, I don't see a need approaching.
I agree, in almost 50 years I've seen and used them a couple of times in inspection departments but never in a workshop. At work with very few exceptions all close tolerance holes were standard sizes so dowels, reamers and good design covered that.
There was always access to a lathe so we made our own plug gauges from offcuts for odd sizes if needed.
Where a fit of a certain feel was required such a a sliding fit we always made the male to fit the female as it is much easier to polish a tenth than to bore a tenth bigger.

Same here. Center-to-Center is one of the most common uses in my case. Even considering that the 2 pins used will be 0.001" different (I don't have duplicate gage pin sets): still works perfectly fine for what I do.
Never thought of that.

Back