Gantry Cranes

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There have been a few threads about gantry cranes over the years and they have a lot of useful information.
I need one that has a capacity of at least 1ton, no more than 2 tons.
I considered making one however after looking at the cost of the steel and wheels I am revisiting the commercially available products. HF sells one by "Pitsburgh" and Titan has models in 1 ton and 2 tons.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188.html

https://www.palletforks.com/2-ton-adjustable-steel-gantry-crane-shop-lift.html

Does anyone have a comment on which would be better quality? It looks like I can get the 2 ton for less than the 1 ton. I am open to other ideas as well. Do you own one of these?

Robert

I would build my own...I have seen the HF, the ratings are anemic. Craigslist a good gantry and chain hoist a 10" beam and some square tubing. Weld some brackets and gussets, drill some bolt holes and you are done with assembly. Coat of tractor supply paint and you are done.

I would build my own...I have seen the HF, the ratings are anemic. Craigslist a good gantry and chain hoist a 10" beam and some square tubing. Weld some brackets and gussets, drill some bolt holes and you are done with assembly. Coat of tractor supply paint and you are done.
Ok. Question: Can I sleeve 3-1/2 OD tubing into 4" .250 wall square tubing? Or will I get interference. I am worried welding will warp the larger tubing? What size beam? 4 x 6"?
Still thinkin' bout that 2 ton Titan. I like the gussets and the lift handles.
Robert

Robert, I’ve had one for about 10 years now and IMO it’s been a great investment.
Paid $600 +|- with a 20% coupon but I suspect they go for more now. Even at $750 it’s a good purchase assuming you will get utility from it. Only thing I dislike is the space it takes up at the back of my garage when not in use. Its quite heavy and due to where it sits straddling the stairwell to the basement, I had to remove the casters. Putting them back on isn’t fun but fortunately 99% of its purpose was to lower heavy things down to my shop. Its sits right where it’s at blocked in place.
There’s absolutely no way you can buy the steel tubing, I-beam, plate casters, paint, hardware etc, let alone the time and labor to fabricate. Unless you’re looking for a project, buying the HF is the way to go. Is it rocket science to make one, no but do the math.
Buy it you’ll love it.

For grins here it is lowering my BP column into the basement. With no helper I’ve used it to get everything from a tormach 1100, a surface grinder, 11x 30 lathe, Bridgeport and more
79846ce09f5c95a21f25e96beea755ba.jpg

CK- I saw that pic in the other thread! Excellent. I like the HF model but I am considering the Titan due to the 2 ton capacity, gussets and the $700 price! Hopefully someone has one and will weigh in!
R

Ok. Question: Can I sleeve 3-1/2 OD tubing into 4" .250 wall square tubing? Or will I get interference. I am worried welding will warp the larger tubing? What size beam? 4 x 6"?
Still thinkin' bout that 2 ton Titan. I like the gussets and the lift handles.
Robert
4x8" beam as a minimum if you don't want any flex, stitch welding will minimize warping, and trying to push anything into square tubing may have an issue with interfernece with the internal seam weld if it is a tight fit.

Wait Is the HF a 1-ton or 2-ton???
Lol I own one and don’t even know that vital stat

I have looked at the HF for a long time--but would need to modify it to get my trailer in between the legs--really only needs a few inches to clear the trailer. Probably would have already bought one if I didn't need to modify it--getting lazy in my old age I guess:grin:

I built one a few years ago... I used a 5x6 H beam for the top and 2 1/2 x 1/4 wall box steel for the legs. I have lifted around 3000 lbs with it.

20161007_163656.jpg

20161204_030736.jpg

It is 10 feet wide and 9' 6" tall... barely short enough to roll through my shop doors...

-Bear

Back