Gantry Cranes

I had one also, your right, it was way to flimsy for my comfort, it was a 1 ton, how many people weight what is going to be lifted, might look like a ton but could be a ton and a half.

So built one my way and alot cheaper than $600-$900 and can lift around 4 ton...

Tim:beer mugs:

Not having or using a "gantry crane", my opinion is not the most useful. However, having worked in the steel mills and foundries in this area, I do have a good concept of what a structure will take.

With any Harbor Freight device, I have a rule of thumb that has held up well for me over the years. I assume any device of their's is usable at one half its' rated capacity. A device rated at one ton will lift one ton, one time. Then be useless beyond a place for hanging stuff. Used at half capacity, it will hold up pretty good for an amateur. An example being the sheet rock panel jack. It'll do 3/4" plywood, but is pushing the limits.

The same thoughts apply to any hoist made overseas. The one from "palletforks" is rated at two tons. Used as a one ton hoist, you would be well enough off. With a slight margin for error if it ever came up. That is the key to any lifting equipment, a good safety margin. A 100% margin is minimal. From an industrial perspective, three or four times is comfortable, five or more would be even better. HF stuff is rated in absolutes, no safety margin.

I have used wooden ramps a number of times for unloading things over the years, usually with little or no margin of error. But the wood is then used as "scab" lumber, nothing structural. The thoughts of trebling the timbers given above is right on point. The key is the grade of lumber used. Spruce or fir is trim lumber, not structural. Pine or oak would give better service.

A truss configuration would give better service than a solid. That a given in wood or steel. A roof truss of great span, 30 ft or more, when used for a small 10 ft beam would hold a pretty good weight. I'm rambling now, designing by remote. A bad move at the best of times.

Bill Hudson​

I have the 2 ton titan one from pallet forks. I think it was about $670 delivered this past summer. When I factored in my time plus mostly new steel and wheels, it was a no-brainer to buy a kit and have it Delivered. It seems like a nice unit. I haven’t tried to lift anything too heavy yet, but currently my truck topper is suspended from it. It went together pretty easily, all the bolt holes lined up, the instructions weren’t great, but good enough. The castors actually seem like a pretty good quality. The handles to raise and lower are a nice feature, although if you do buy it, there are four bolts that should be replaced with carriage bolts, the heads with sharp corners get stuck and make the handles hard to operate. If you buy one, you will see what I mean. Definitely research the inside width and compare to a trailer you may want to have it straddle. I also like that it is bolted together and can be taken apart and moved if needed, as opposed to welding one together.

Thanks for all the comments. I am thinking the 2 ton Titan will be the winner since I will rarely lift more than a Bridgeport. I believe they are about 2200 lbs. I will check my trailer width!
Robert

I ordered the 2 ton Strongway gantry. It will clear my trailer. Now I need a 2 ton trolley and hoist. Any thoughts on those? What do you have that you like.
Robert

Last edited:
I VERY RARELY try to move anything with any sizable mass with brute force. When presented with a large load I like to "think it off" instead of "muscle it off".
My line of work occasionally involves moving big, heavy, awkward stuff. Sometimes, no previous experience or data to support the rigging effort. The quote above is the essence of the job. Involve more than one qualified "thinker", if available. I still have all my appendages, and so do the men I work with.

I have the Harbor Freight 2 Ton engine hoist. It had no problem lifting the 2500 pound or so Takisawa lathe. I recall it was on the 1.5T setting, and it was surprisingly easy to move the equipment around on a not perfectly smooth concrete floor. The legs fold up and minimize the storage footprint.

Last edited:
Finally got it and got it up:

1565661128827.png

It's the Strongway from Northern Tool. Hey... what's the best way to keep the trolley from moving when you don't want it to? Beam clamps? Straps?

Robert

I reading about gantry cranes, it sounds like a caster failure can change the geometry enough for the entire rig to buckle and fail.
Does no one have the Titan? Titan and Strongway may be the same model?
Robert
Hi RWM,
I had some castor failure problems when moving some heavy stuff and ended up making my own which is pretty easy. I knocked up a whole batch of wheels of different sizes and make fixed or swivelling mounts to suit to application. I got the incentive for making the wheels from here:

Back