Gantry Cranes

@Timwalker , Can you recommend any good online or book resources for rigging basics?
I have always wanted to learn more.
Thanks,
-brino

Best way to learn is to work with someone who doesn't mind teaching you.

As for books, a lot depends on what you want to learn and how far you want to get into it. There are a lot of "basic" rigging books out there, but my guess is they will contain far more info than most amateurs would need to know (for instance how the angle of sling/cable used in a choke effects the safe load rating, not a big concern if your slings are rated 2 or 3 times what you are lifting). Something like

would be a good place to start, but may be a bit more than most need to know. Theater rigging books can also be helpful (different style of equipment, and lots of rope and knot work).

Edit:
This looks like a good visual resource on safe practices for setting slings

Traditional rigging (like my Dad practiced) and 'rigging' as applied to machine tools uses different equipment, but relies on similar principles...

Here is a good free text on rigging basics...

An excellent intro to moving a lathe is here: Tom Lipton, OxTool...

I move local people's lathes and mills regularly, so I have built up quite a kit of moving stuff that really helps... Depending on the job, all or none of it might be helpful... but a pry bar, 2X4s for blocking and black iron pipe can get you a long way in a pinch, without much cost.

I've got a Harbor Freight 1-ton with a HF 2-ton trolley and chain fall. No issues at all moving my 2000 lbs Bridgeport. The I-beam is still straight as an arrow. The weak point in the design is the tubular steel in the base where the columns attach. I moved the BP by setting it on the ground and moved the crane so the mill was at one end. Lifted the mill (worst case load on the column to the base) and pushed it to the other end using the trolley. Dropped the mill and repeated until it was in place. My manual suggests not lifting a load and moving it with the Crane's casters. Risk is supposed to be getting the load swinging and tipping the crane. I'd have to measure the caster axles but recall them being about 3/8" in diameter, so good for around 4 tons each.

Bruce

Back