Gap Tooth Repair

Oh, and I forgot to say that it was really epic that you went back and found your missing piece. The winds were not in your favor, yet here you are, irreplaceable part in hand. I'm sure there is a story there!

Oh, and I forgot to say that it was really epic that you went back and found your missing piece. The winds were not in your favor, yet here you are, irreplaceable part in hand. I'm sure there is a story there!
Only two lanes of rush hour traffic on the 101 south of Gilroy :laughing:

I think we would all like the story of how you knew where to look, and how you retrieved the part.

Another idea, is maybe fabricate a few costum pieces that span from side to side, and have a bolt go through the walls, into the pieces.

I think we would all like the story of how you knew where to look, and how you retrieved the part.

Another idea, is maybe fabricate a few costum pieces that span from side to side, and have a bolt go through the walls, into the pieces.

I'm liking this idea, maybe just one big hunk of metal to fit....

So, when towing something like this I'm super focused on the load and I heard something hit the trailer maybe. I looked in my mirror and saw something bouncing down the road so I pulled over. Fortunately it was at a very good place, @Mtnmac was behind me and saw it too, we figured it was just something kicked up from the road so I checked the tie-downs and we continued onward. It wasn't until we got to my house that I noticed the missing piece. The next day I drove back up to Gilroy and took the same route until I got to where I had pulled over, after checking the shoulder I crossed over to the median and started back towards where I thought it probably would be and fortunately there it was right on the edge of the highway.

Now to put it back into place, I wonder if @Richard King 2 has ever dealt wit something like this.

John

I'm liking this idea, maybe just one big hunk of metal to fit....

So, when towing something like this I'm super focused on the load and I heard something hit the trailer maybe. I looked in my mirror and saw something bouncing down the road so I pulled over. Fortunately it was at a very good place, @Mtnmac was behind me and saw it too, we figured it was just something kicked up from the road so I checked the tie-downs and we continued onward. It wasn't until we got to my house that I noticed the missing piece. The next day I drove back up to Gilroy and took the same route until I got to where I had pulled over, after checking the shoulder I crossed over to the median and started back towards where I thought it probably would be and fortunately there it was right on the edge of the highway.

Now to put it back into place, I wonder if @Richard King 2 has ever dealt wit something like this.

John
It actually was the best possible outcome when dropping a 3 lb. chunk of cast iron off the lathe strapped to the trailer you are towing. No accidents, no insurance claims, no injuries, and you recover the part! We examined the lathe closely after it was strapped down. I looked for things that might fall off, but it never occurred to me that the gap itself might be loose.

So, looking closer at my carriage and saddle I noticed there are two pieces which hold the saddle down to the ways, one of them is broken.

DSCN1484.JPG

When I look at the available space under there I can't see any reason why this part couldn't run the full length of the saddle and bolt to either end like the original pieces did.

DSCN1489.JPG

You can see the L shaped piece bolts to the saddle and rides up under the lip of the bed above the rack. If I did this then the saddle would be supported top and bottom of the front way and should hold secure even without the part of the gap which broke off.

DSCN1490.JPG

Back of the saddle has a single piece with a gib for adjustment.

Is there any reason not to do this? I need to replace the broken part anyway so the worst possible outcome I see is just cutting it down to work as originally designed. The piece is cast iron but there shouldn't be a problem with making it from steel or even brass. It could also be two pieces that bolt together so it could be shimmed for an exact fit. Thoughts?

John

Back