gas mix

My welder only goes down to about 35A and I had trouble butt welding steel less than 1mm using Ar 83 Co2 5 O2 mix. Tried pure Argon and have less trouble. Whack a roll of Silicone Bronze in and have almost no trouble except for the mig rollers dragging money out of my wallet!.
Have welded 12mm with the mixed gas 200A. 1.2mm wire in one pass, not pretty but strong???o_O.
John.

That looks just like mine. Mine is a 200 w/SKP. I picked it up at a School Auction for $150. It came with a Bernard gun. Only had to do a few minor things to it and it welds great. I use C25 on mine. Stripped it down, taped off the emblems and primered and painted it, Rustoleum Safety Blue. Very close to stock color.

View attachment 249967

View attachment 249968

Does yours do stick weld also?

C25 works well for me on mild steel from 20 ga sheet to 1/2 inch thick...

-Bear

Don't know if it would do stick weld, but it will weld with a gun.
I just need to find one that will fit it, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :)

I hope to get it down this weak and find out just what it is. If it works I know I will get it at a good price.

Regarding stick welding, generally a MIG machine is 'constant voltage' and what you need for stick welding is 'constant current' - so a MIG machine is not too good as a power supply for stick welding. A TIG machine can often be used for stick welding - both are 'constant current' processes.

There are 'multi-process' machines that can do mig / stick / tig all from one box and some of them do a good job with all processes - but some are compromises all around. I've had best results with 'purpose built' machines for each process - plus if one machine dies you have a backup.

Stu

Well I got it down and got a good look at it today. But didn't get a chance to try it out. Tomorrow hopefully. It is a millermatic 200 like Mike's but doesn't have the spot welder.

There is a spool gun with it now, spoolmatic 3, don't know if I will get that but a quick ? I know it is for aluminum wire but can it be used with steel wire also?

No reason that they can't that I know of. Spool guns are often used where you need long leads in order to reach the work, but you can't push wire that far.

Well it is a millermatic 200 JE serial number made in 1984. The wire feeder isn't working. And the price is $000.00 Did I pay to much? AN I will pick it up 01/02 when I get back to work.
Does any one know where I can get a service manual for it? I found the owners manual online at miller.

Back